When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about HVLP mini spray guns

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Siphon feed is out dated. It wastes too much paint uses more energy to spray. It takes 10lbs of air to paint a car with a hvlp compared to 45-50 with a pot gun.

redline1968

Siphon feed is only out dated if you don't know how to spray. If you are a truly talented painter, you can have more control of paint volume, finer fans,
and better outcome with siphon feed. Who cares if it takes more air pressure?. Is the extra air costing you money? I can shoot with more air or less air for different results.
Back in the day when I sprayed all of my murals and finishes with lacquer, you would not be able to apply it with an HVLP. "High Volume" is not what I'm after. I'm not looking to cake on the most paint in the quickest time. HVPL is the reason that most of the new cars and cars being repaired at body shop look like crap.
Just my opinion as a talented artist and seasoned painter. Anyone can use what they want and perhaps HVLP is best for the new painter.......Wayne

Hey Wayne, thanks for that input, and believe me, no trash talking here, I'm just trying to soak up all the info I can.

Wouldn't the volume of paint being spayed depend on the set up of the gun? I feel like it probably would. Is there a way on an HVLP to reduce the flow, but still get a solid pattern out of the tip?

Siphon feed is only out dated if you don't know how to spray. If you are a truly talented painter, you can have more control of paint volume, finer fans,
and better outcome with siphon feed. Who cares if it takes more air pressure?. Is the extra air costing you money? I can shoot with more air or less air for different results.
Back in the day when I sprayed all of my murals and finishes with lacquer, you would not be able to apply it with an HVLP. "High Volume" is not what I'm after. I'm not looking to cake on the most paint in the quickest time. HVPL is the reason that most of the new cars and cars being repaired at body shop look like crap.
Just my opinion as a talented artist and seasoned painter. Anyone can use what they want and perhaps HVLP is best for the new painter.......Wayne

Truth is in the sauce. Back in the day is gone...tomorrow it's water base paints. Hvpl is the most efficient way to paint. you apply more material on the object with low pressure than the pot spray. It's easier to control and no drips. That's too bad...I understand some older people like to stay with with the old ways and Change scares them..And that's too bad But if you prefer to keep up with the industry new paints hvpl is it.
Body shops vary in who they hire not he paint gun.

Last edited:
You can adjust the amount of volume on an HVLP gun just like a Siphon. To say one sprays heavier than the other is rather ignorant. I have shot with both and you can still buy siphon guns in CA. HVLP guns are called high volume because they shoot more paint with less air. This is because GRAVITY. That is it. More air is necessary to draw the paint up fighting gravity in a siphon gun. That is all. The tips are the same, the paint is the same, and in fact I have never heard of a TOOL (gun) being banned. What is banned are the types of paint, like Lacquer, acrylics, etc.

redline1968

First of all, water based auto paints suck. With water based paints, you can't achieve depth, you can't get that mirror finish. Do you think that all of the custom painters you see
on TV and in reality are using Water Bourne paints?, Well, they are not. Lacquer was amazing, but a lot of work. Then came single stage which can still be applied, sanded and buffed
to perfection. You can still go into any auto paint supplier and buy Centari, PPG or any single stage or multi stage paint.
Bottom line is this...I don't give a damn what paint or what gun any one uses. You can use what you like the best. But, you cannot in any way discredit the high quality, mirror finish
of a good acrylic enamel paint finish.
Again, I don't care what you do.

First of all, water based auto paints suck. With water based paints, you can't achieve depth, you can't get that mirror finish. Do you think that all of the custom painters you see
on TV and in reality are using Water Bourne paints?, Well, they are not. Lacquer was amazing, but a lot of work. Then came single stage which can still be applied, sanded and buffed
to perfection. You can still go into any auto paint supplier and buy Centari, PPG or any single stage or multi stage paint.
Bottom line is this...I don't give a damn what paint or what gun any one uses. You can use what you like the best. But, you cannot in any way discredit the high quality, mirror finish
of a good acrylic enamel paint finish.
Again, I don't care what you do.

Ha ....it's not your thread fool ;0. where can you get lacquer.. Mexico?

Ha ....it's not your thread fool ;0. where can you get lacquer.. Mexico?

Actually, you can buy it at AutoZone or OReilly's, limited colors that are pre mixed pre thinned in a quart can. A few years ago I purchased two pints of acrylic lacquer at Space Age auto paint supply so it's still out there.

Back