When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets talk about this dx challenger original bike

-

ratdaddy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Well i remoldeled the living area in our house with the understanding we are making more room for more bikes.and its working.heres a old dx challenger we drug out of the shop today.it has the small springer rods.rear adjusting screws and prewar drop center rims.when i looked up the number the only f's i found were in 1949.but when i went to the prewar numbers it says the numbers started over again in1938.the number is on the bb and is larger numbers f17665 what year would this be.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 147
i always thought that the serial numbers before 1948 were lost in a fire. thus you needed to pull the crank to see if it has a date on it.

i did this on my dx, and it was dated "41" for 1941. just my 2 cents

great bike!

Alright,well I'm no Schwinn expert but I'm quite confident that is prewar. I think the first year of the springer was '39 (maybe '38), so it stands to reason the bike is somewhere between '39-'41. I think with the F serial, you may have a '41 on your hands there. Pulling the crank is a good idea for narrowing it further.

A very nice looking bike you've got there! Beautiful tank decal and it looks like it'll clean up like woah. The fenders look to be a reverse paint scheme if they're original, which is a cool option you don't see often.

If all the parts (minus rocket ray light) are original then it is a 40 DX. 41 models had bigger fenders and wing chainguard, 39 models had straight downtubes and dropstands.

It seems every time I open my mouth I show just how much I don't know, but here goes anyway. The prewar numbers were lost in a fire but there are a couple of members reconstructing the list (paging REC). As I understand it, there was only one year that used the fork stop tube welded below the front end of the down tube (like yours) and I'm fairly sure it was 1941. I heard someone is selling the rubber bumpers over on eBay. Very, VERY cool bike. Get that bad boy cleaned up...there's been several of them pop up lately....it's about time for a DX photo parade.

9716efb0-1.jpg

Last edited:
It seems every time I open my mouth I show just how much I don't know, but here goes anyway. The prewar numbers were lost in a fire but there are a couple of members reconstructing the list (paging REC). As I understand it, there was only one year that used the fork stop tube welded below the front end of the down tube (like yours) and I'm fairly sure it was 1941. I heard someone is selling the rubber bumpers over on eBay. Very, VERY cool bike. Get that bad boy cleaned up...there's been several of them pop up lately....it's about time for a DX photo parade.

Mostly right - the use of the built in bumpers on deluxe bikes seems mostly a 41 thing. The DX model starting in 39 had them if springer equipped, the 40 parts catalog has the replacement bumpers listed specifically for DX models, and by 41 they seemed to show up on some B/BA models instead of the coveted little rubber clip on bumpers.

And remember, Schwinn did whatever it took to move stock out the door so I usually take "correct" with a grain of salt. :cool:

dx

i was thinkin 39 also from the info i got from prewar numbers on a bunch of bike numbers web site.it says the letters started over in 38 and went a thru f.anyway i just put it in my computer room and fixin to bring in a 49 delux autocycle that ive never got to spend any time with and its been out in the shop for years.fact is i never even got to touch it till yesterday.thanks for all your help

i was thinkin 39 also from the info i got from prewar numbers on a bunch of bike numbers web site.it says the letters started over in 38 and went a thru f.anyway i just put it in my computer room and fixin to bring in a 49 delux autocycle that ive never got to spend any time with and its been out in the shop for years.fact is i never even got to touch it till yesterday.thanks for all your help

Your bike above is definitely a 40, not a 39.

Back