When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Libertas 1971 touring frame Reynolds 531DB

-
@non-fixie You are probably a little correct about me aiming "a little high" regarding the workmanship quality since I do tend to ride higher grade bikes in general; but I still get out on my 3 speeds for the somewhat more relaxing rides. I did want a vintage lightweight touring frame though, and this would have fit the bill in that aspect.

I have an old Nishiki Gran Tour 15 that was gifted to me for delivering a bike to another member on one of my, as @juvela would say, peregrinations. I showed up at the guy's place went and on a nice relaxing ride of his area with him. I had merely asked for a 6 pack of the local beers (which he provided!); but he surprised me with the Nishiki frame.

I never built it up, so it is now in my sights again. It is smaller than the Libertas, but I think it is bigger than I remembered having taken another look at it; maybe 1 cm smaller height and reach. I never have built up a Japanese bike from scratch so I guess I will learn what I need on it since I have no idea as to BB threading or length, steerer threads, etc. I've got plenty of Japanese derailleurs, bars, stems, seat posts, and pedals I've gathered through the years, so I only need a wheelset, BB, and headset to get it on the road.

Back