When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lightweight locking fork question

-

Schwinny

I live for the CABE
I've got a locking lightweight fork I've been staring at for quite awhile. A few weeks ago I decided to start moving in the direction of getting it ready to put on a bike.
I sent the lock to Wes and he's got it all ready but brought up a point that I'll need to address.
I guess this question is for those that have a lightweight with a locking fork or someone with the parts lists.
Is there a special lightweight locking fork bearing cup or are they all the same? I've noticed these special lower bearing cups listed as being for the springers but haven't seen them listed for standard type forks (or truss type for that matter) on the balooners. And since these forks are pretty rare on lightweights, If there is a special one for lightweights, its probably impossible to find.
I mocked it up to start with and it works to lock the pin into the downtube recess but there is a lot of play so I imagine these use a special lower bearing cup also.
Wes mentioned a pin inside the head tube to place the bearing cup which leads me to believe the frame head tubes are special made for locking forks also but I can deal with that I'm sure. I can even make a properly drilled bronze sleeve to drive up there if it comes to that, but proper parts in the first place are of course are better.
Anybody know?

I hope this helps and is CORRECT.

1624250800426.png

That is some great info and I'm going to file that away. Thank You.
"Except Continental" but no mention of the Continental otherwise.
The fork I have is most likely late 40's, early 50's but It was by itself, not on a bike when I got it.
Black with the handpainted white chevron with red trim. Didnt seem like a Conti paint scheme right off hand.
I'll have to look around. I've had it in my head that it came off an early 50's World Traveler because I've seen the same fork paint scheme on one of those.
I seem to remember a locking fork on other than Continental lightweight bikes.... Hmmm
Does that mean that Continentals dont need a special cup? Or that other lightweights do?
The muddy water has not cleared up... just swirling now... :)

Last edited:
One has to consider that a bike with a front fork mounted caliper most likely didn't have the Cycelock.

One has to consider that a bike with a front fork mounted caliper most likely didn't have the Cycelock.
It's Kinda cool that there is such an array of configurations. Keeping things straight as they were being assembled must have been a chore in itself. Mine actually does have a front caliper. It's another issue to solve for since it mounts with a bolt that screws into the fork into a threaded boss rather than a bolt that goes all the way through having the fender mount clip attached to the rear. This one has to have the fender clip mounted directly behind the caliper itself which means there has to be a specific fender for this model type.
Also interesting is that there is not one iota of chrome on the caliper. Its like it was never chromed. I have seen a couple of these by now, both front and rear, and all have been chrome versions.
It was all together like it was just pulled off a bike when I first got it, grease, dirt and all. So I dont think someone started a stripping routine. I'm the one that has started to take the paint off the fork. Again interesting is that the fork is pretty rough textured. They used a lot of sanding primer to get the finish smooth.
The key cylinder is angled facing the left side of the bike and there is no caliper/ fender mounting hole coming out the rear of the crown head. Its pretty busy inside the steer tube in that area. It must have a fender clip on it to screw the caliper down tight or the tip of the bolt hits the inside mechanism. I guess one could supplant a washer but you'd have to figure that one out first trial and error if a person were to just want to casually remove the fenders in the course of owning the original bike this was on.
The lock pin itself, the one that does the locking actually comes out both sides of the steer tube. I dont remember if it comes out both sides at the same time or if its action depends on which way you turn the key.
The whole thing is a puzzle.

Last edited:
-----

very fine job with the description and photos here! 😉

makes me glad you are the one embarking upon the project...

---

another cycle producer who fitted steering locks to some of their models was Gnome Rhone of France

the frames of their products are of a unique bimetal construction with the three main tubes of dural paired with steel rear triangles and steel forks

this fuzzy image shows one of their steering locks. appreciate it looks like it could be a bent pump peg but it is a real steering lock. the pump pegs on this bicycle are on the back side of its seat tube.

file-jpg.jpg

here is an illustration of a complete machine of 1943 bearing one of these locks -

gnome-rhone-of-1943-jpg.jpg

in this picture of the bottom bracket area the combination nature of the frame construction can be seen -

gnome-rhone-lady-model-b-jpg.jpg

-----

I hope this helps and is CORRECT.

View attachment 1433577
Shazaaam!
On this sheet is an answer to a question I asked a few weeks back !!
I was looking for a chrome (stainless) crown for a balloon tire fork and as people looked through their things and we looked through the catalogs looking for a pictured example, we came to the conclusion that the balloon tire models never came with a fork crown of this type.
This sheet shows Part #2604 as a crown for a balloon tire fork.
Apparently in the league with hens teeth.
Wonders never cease.

I had one of the pre-war "flat top" type New World forks with both a lock and a caliper brake. I sold the bike quite awhile ago. I bought a new key and everything for it. The set up requires a different caliper bolt that has a blind mount to the front of the fork crown.

3.2015%2B062.jpg

Back