When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'like new' schwinn cruiser 6 hungarian twins - how do i find a value on them?

-
I agree with Jay81. These are from the 90s if not 2000s. Not sure of the value but I'd be surprised if the pair brought more than $450 or so. V/r Shawn

Value wise - I see you are from Michigan as well. I sell used bikes on CL in the metro Detroit area and would expect to get in the neighborhood of $150 - $200 for the men's and $125 - $150 for the ladies.
There is a fairly good used bike market here, although it's not as good this year as it's been in the last several years.
This is assuming they are in working order and ready to be ridden. Gears and brakes all working and adjusted properly and tires that are not worn out or dry rotted.

I agree about the date, early '90's, either just before or just after Chicago went bankrupt. As @GTs58 said, there should be a four digit number stamped in the headbadge, the first three numbers will be between 001 and 365 for the day of the year, and the fourth digit will be the last digit of the year it was made, "0" for 1990, "1" for 1991, etc. But you've got a couple of rare bikes, or at least the first Hungarian Cruiser 6's I've ever seen. That might be worth something if you can find the right buyer, but the Cruiser 6's aren't big collector's items in general, most were built in Taiwan, so it might or might not.
Maybe your wife''s parents traded in the ones she remembers on these?

Last edited:
Have a friend and her dad (in his 80s) swore up and down that the '69 Huffy Camaro he had was a bike he bought in the '40s. Just say'n... V/r Shawn

Have to agree with the others here. Just looking at the hardware on them. You didn't see that fork design till the very late 80's, allen bolt stem later then that. I don't remember many six speed bikes back then as I was chasing other things but I remember 12 speeds in the early 80's. So you probably wont find 6 speed cogs before then.

hi all

once again, i admire the passion that you all have, and the incredible knowledge and history
and very much appreciate all of the info

i do not really know anything about these, other than what i can find on them (made in hungary, serial numbers...and the pics) plus my wife's memory that the grandparents had these well before her kids were born - 1989. she is incredibly smart with a sharp memory, so i have to believe her that these were in the 80s or prior

i apologize for being totally naive, but i do not know what a head badge stamp, head badge or head tube are - haha
i think you are talking about (again, pardon my being naive) the schwinn logo on the bar that goes towards the ground below the handlebars?
if so i see no numbers there

all that being said, special thanks to jay81 and freqman1 for giving me a ballpark value, as my main motivation here is to get some cash for the kids by selling them to someone who will appreciate them and take care of them. where and when they were made is something we would find very very interesting, but if these are bought by an appreciative person without us knowing those details, it would not be a disappointment

jay81 - the bikes appear to be in great condition. the grandsons have been into bicycling all of their lives, still are, have about 3 different types each with rooftop bike carriers always on top of their cars, and seem to enjoy working on them to keep them in tip top shape. bikes were probably something they had in common with their grandparents, so they probably helped them keep these in great shape.

should i just post them for sale in detroit clist? $300 for the pair?

again, ty all for your help
life is about helping each other, and i am humbled by you all taking the time to help a stranger

don

I’m still wondering where the Hungarian twins are?!!! Wait a minute,,,, are you guys talking about bikes???

i apologize for being totally naive, but i do not know what a head badge stamp, head badge or head tube are - haha
i think you are talking about (again, pardon my being naive) the schwinn logo on the bar that goes towards the ground below the handlebars?
if so i see no numbers there

Head tube - vertical tube at the front of the frame, between the handlebars and fork.
Head badge - Badge with manufacturers name affixed to the head tube with screws or rivits. Look at the front of the bike, can't miss it.
head badge stamp - MFG date code stamped into the head badge

should i just post them for sale in detroit clist? $300 for the pair?

Yes.

i do not really know anything about these, other than what i can find on them (made in hungary, serial numbers...and the pics) plus my wife's memory that the grandparents had these well before her kids were born - 1989. she is incredibly smart with a sharp memory, so i have to believe her that these were in the 80s or prior

We are happy to help, but have told you repeatedly this is not correct. Please stop insulting us by telling us we're wrong.

Head tube - vertical tube at the front of the frame, between the handlebars and fork.
Head badge - Badge with manufacturers name affixed to the head tube with screws or rivits. Look at the front of the bike, can't miss it.
head badge stamp - MFG date code stamped into the head badge

Yes.

We are happy to help, but have told you repeatedly this is not correct. Please stop insulting us by telling us we're wrong.
He may find it easier to tell us that we're wrong. After all, he doesn't have to live with us.

Back