When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'like new' schwinn cruiser 6 hungarian twins - how do i find a value on them?

-
Don,

This is the head badge that is mounted on head tube in the front of Schwinn bikes between the stem and fork. It has the build date stamped next to the Letter I. Not sure if you want to test your Wife's memory or not, but those bikes are 90's era with those V type brakes verses the old caliper type.

Best of luck with your sales.

Schwinn%20Oval%20with%20Date%20Code_zpstksnljqk.jpg

hi all

jeez - i have no idea how a bridge was made to have someone (not sure who) is feeling insulted, or thinks i made any attempt at all to say that someone was wrong! sorry to hear you feel that way. rereading my messages, i see nothing but thanks for info, and acknowledgements of the knowledge of schwinn bikes by people on this thread.

sharing my wife's comments was merely to throw out any info i had on the subject. she is a non-typical woman, soft spoken, quiet. she is a listener, not a talker. she keeps her opinions to herself. i have been at the table many dozens of times when someone has gone on and on expressing an opinion that i know damned well is against her beliefs. she just listens when that happens. in almost 20 years, i have never seen her get involved in one single debate, argument, controversy....

reading your comments to her, she just very quietly said 'i know they had these before the kids were born (1989)'. i merely passed that on to help, not to disagree

ty to GTs58 for the head badge pic, and to jay (?) for clearly describing the location of the head badge and date of manufacture on it. i asked for clarification only because, while i was certain i knew what a head badge was, there was, and is, absolutely no manufacture date on the head badge (see pic)

all this being said, my objective, as stated, was not to figure out the date of manufacture, but to get a ballpark of what price i should post as i go to sell these - a guy 'in the middle' trying to do a good deed by getting some cash for her kids, and selling them to someone who would have an appreciation for the bikes, and for a reasonable price

i believe you all have helped me meet that objective (jay? $300), so i thank you

schwinn head badge.jpg

hi all

jeez - i have no idea how a bridge was made to have someone (not sure who) is feeling insulted, or thinks i made any attempt at all to say that someone was wrong! sorry to hear you feel that way. rereading my messages, i see nothing but thanks for info, and acknowledgements of the knowledge of schwinn bikes by people on this thread.

sharing my wife's comments was merely to throw out any info i had on the subject. she is a non-typical woman, soft spoken, quiet. she is a listener, not a talker. she keeps her opinions to herself. i have been at the table many dozens of times when someone has gone on and on expressing an opinion that i know damned well is against her beliefs. she just listens when that happens. in almost 20 years, i have never seen her get involved in one single debate, argument, controversy....

reading your comments to her, she just very quietly said 'i know they had these before the kids were born (1989)'. i merely passed that on to help, not to disagree

ty to GTs58 for the head badge pic, and to jay (?) for clearly describing the location of the head badge and date of manufacture on it. i asked for clarification only because, while i was certain i knew what a head badge was, there was, and is, absolutely no manufacture date on the head badge (see pic)

all this being said, my objective, as stated, was not to figure out the date of manufacture, but to get a ballpark of what price i should post as i go to sell these - a guy 'in the middle' trying to do a good deed by getting some cash for her kids, and selling them to someone who would have an appreciation for the bikes, and for a reasonable price

i believe you all have helped me meet that objective (jay? $300), so i thank you

View attachment 876899
That wasn't the head badge I expected. If you don't mind, before you sell these bikes post all the pictures you can. They might make a good reference for somebody.

There's probably not that many of these Hungarian Schwinn Cruisers around so they may be somewhat hard to find these days. I have never come across these before, and to think Sheldon Brown stated in his writings that Schwinn never imported bikes from the Hungarian plant. Interesting that there is no stamping in the headbadge.

monkey - yes, it has a badge saying 'made in hungary' (pic on page 1 of this thread)

GT - both have a production code stamp on the bottom. i have a pic of one of the stampings on the first page of this thread. i do not know what a derailleur is, per bikemonkey. if that is the part of the frame under the pedals, that is where the stamping is.

not sure if i am back to square one, where it appears these were made in 1968 and 1977. i arrived at that by looking at a chart that someone posted on a thread that i now cannot find again, that said the first two letters determined the month and year of production

GT - from what you are saying about 'hard to find', does that mean that i would be pricing these too low at $300 for the pair?

ty both so much for your help!

Last edited:
I'll stand by my original valuation (see post #11). "Hard to find" or even rare does not make something desirable or valuable. A '71 lime green AMC Pacer with a red interior would probably be rare, if not unique, but the market would be very narrow for something like that. V/r Shawn

People can get frustrated when asked a question and give free knowledgeable valid answers but the person asking refuses to believe the information.(It happens a lot here.) FYI as stated those V-brakes are 90’s early 2000’s. Maybe your wife’s parents had some other bikes they sold at some point. She may have these mixed up with them??? In any case best of luck selling them and hope the kids appreciate the money they bring.

I was the one that asked that you stop insulting us.
What I mean by that, is you have several members, myself included, that have told you you're bikes were made in the 90s.
We went as far as to explain why and how we came up with that conclusion.
Yet you repeatedly flat out ignore what we're telling you about when they were built and keep insisting that they're older than that.
You have some very knowledgeable bike people willing to share their knowledge with you and give you free help and advice.
We're trying to educate you about these bikes, that you know very little about, and you're telling us we're wrong, over and over.

We have spent years studying bikes and learning about them. You can learn from us if you're willing to listen.
If you're going to keep insisting we're wrong, I can't speak for the others, but I for one am done trying to help.

Last edited:
Back