When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liquidation due to health issues...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
five.jpg

Did someone say LIQUIDATION?

Am 71 years old ... cancer in remission ... but am
not enjoying good health. My birth mother died
at age 78 .. birth father at 82. Neither used tobacco
or drank alcohol. I did.

I don't have more than 10 bicycles.

When it appears to be the time to sell, I will get
the word out .. with non-flexible pricing.

To as many individuals as I can ... all at one time.
I don't plan on twisting arms.

The machines that are truly exotic ... I have each priced
at a value I would pay to own it, if I were young again.

Years ago ... maybe in the mid-eighties ... when
I was not yet forty ... just starting a collection ...
I axed myself ... Would I rather have a collection
of 100, five hundred-dollar machines ..... or ... would
I rather have a collection of 500.. hundred-dollar
machines.

Of those ten or so machines ... I value five .. (plus or
minus) ... very highly.

The other 5 of the 10, I just enjoy, and don't look to
sell ... just give away.

Those 5 that are priced ... if each does not bring the
dollar amount that I hoped it would bring ... well .. am
not going to start taking bids. I will offer a machine
maybe right here on the CABE..

If a machine is not grabbed at selling time -- it will be

donated to the bicycle museum on 75 North, in Ohio,
or the Greene County Historical Society or the Carillion
Park on the edge of Dayton.

I have no plans to make it a cinch for just anyone to up
and own my fine ponies.

If a party ends up with one of my 5 choice ones -- it's be-
cause he or she stepped up and paid for it.

I always paid what was asked for each of my prizes. If
you cannot afford it ... you don't need it. It will not be me
making sacrifices so that one of my rides gets to roll
into someone-else's collection.

Then I thought ... why not just have an open-house ...
a person just puts a suitable amount of cash in a coffee
can ... and rides away on one of my machines. Oh, yeah ...
like that's gonna happen.

My badge collection ... once filling at least five suitcases ...
is now comprised of two types ... very-exotic AND those
that I still enjoy. The badges are American Motorcycle
related ... OR American Bicycle related.

Maybe 200 badges remain, total ... of both types.

Am going to sell these the same way as 5 exotic bicycles.
But, am going to sell the exotic badges for exactly what
I have in a particular one.

If a badge does not sell ... it goes to a museum.

Any parts that I have will go to those individuals who
actually bought a bicycle or a badge. Will not be selling
any parts ... givin' them away to those buying bicycles
or badges.

I don't know how to run an auction OR a charity.

And am not planning on learning.

..... patric

post script @ 9:58p .. 4/8 Look ... I don't need the money ...
got an awesome retirement program as public school teacher
in Ohio. But I do care about the two non-political charities
I have supported since Noah sailed the Seven Seas.

post script @ 4:20p .. 4/9 The last thing I wanna cause for
those in my family who outlive me ... is to continue to have
to lift mental weights about the Earth-Bound things that I was
attracted to ... and had the unfortunate lack of good-judgment
that caused me to drag them home.

Last edited:
Good nerve hit JD. I have been thinking of this for a couple of years now. I am only 64. Hopefully I have SOME time left. I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer, very early stage and in a small area. All should be good with much monitoring. Enough of that. My idea is pretty simple.

First when time comes closer, get rid of the large pain in the ass to ship stuff SOLD. Second, the small stuff that is easy to ship or sell at swap meets. Take her to swap meets, sell stuff, hand her the cash. (even though she won't want to take it ) Get together with my daughter have her take pics with my description, log it all. Give her an idea of each pieces worth, what she should ask for them, lower than actual value. Then it is up to her to decide what she wants for it. It will be all found money for her. I always tell her, what I have always done, especially since the internet has been. There is plenty out there of the same item you have. Most people want the same money for them. You have to sell for less to move it most of the time. She is always amazed what I have bought and sold over the years. I love my daughter and I am very protective of her. Everything we have is hers when we are gone.

That is it, simple. DONE

Last edited:
I'm single and no kids, and nothing but nieces... when my nieces had kids, I got more nieces. don't have a bunch of bikes.. I only have two with any value to speak of, so I will not be worrying if my sister or brother sells a 400 or 600 dollar bike for 100 bucks. if i die before my brother, he will take all my junk and sell it and get 50 cents on the dollar. he is an antique dealer of sorts, and just gives his stuff away. he does not do computers and really has no idea what half of what he sells is worth. I am sure he has made many people very happy at his antique shows he does.

I have a big pressed steel pre war (mostly) toy car, truck, airplane and (toy) gun collection. I'd guess a reseller could pay 5 grand for what I have and double his money selling one by one. my brother would sell it for nothing and probably get $2,000. for all of it. my sister once said she would call one of those estate people who screw families over for profit. I really wanted to slap her.

it is sad to think my lifelong collection of cool old stuff will be my families "burden" to dispose of for pennies on the dollar with the least amount of effort expended.

I have a total of 15 bikes that fit into one room.
That's all I want, any more than that it becomes unmanageable and would be a nightmare for my relatives if anything happened to me.
When I hit 72, and that's not all that long from now, I will whittle that down to a hand full of bikes to be given to the grandkids.
The LAST THING I WOULD EVER DO IS GIVE TO A MUSEUM!!
My father's uncle donated his gun collection to the State museum and within 6 months most of it was sold out the back door.
When you give ANYTHING to a museum, it's theirs and they can do anything they want with it.
They can sell it or most likely sit it in the basement where nobody will ever see half of what you donated.
I like the bikes and the history and like the idea that we just are the temporary owners of these devices.
Everything does and should come up for sale sometime.

The LAST THING I WOULD EVER DO IS GIVE TO A MUSEUM!!
My father's uncle donated his gun collection to the State museum and within 6 months most of it was sold out the back door.
When you give ANYTHING to a museum, it's theirs and they can do anything they want with it.
They can sell it or most likely sit it in the basement where nobody will ever see half of what you donated.

Everything does and should come up for sale sometime.

AMEN to that brother. Most people don't realize that. I had a large collection of World War One Canadian military items (Grandad) and had thought about donating it until I learned the above. Sold it all to collectors.
My bike collection is small, 7 bikes, and some bits and pieces but I'm 76 so I do think of the future disposal. Still like tinkering and riding around with them, so will not be getting rid of all of them just yet. Probably sell a couple this summer at a bike meet near me.
Up to the kids after that.

Mike

Ditto to everything said before. What I have done is "move." Had to clean out. Sold 30 bikes and most of the parts. Kept the stuff I like. Spent the $$, not on more bikes but some things around the new place, plus took a trip through the Panama Canal by ship, seen some of South America and then another separate trip to Aruba with my wife.Was gone 23 days, and everything, 100%, including airfare was paid by the bikes. This accomplished two things: got rid of lots of "stuff" that I do not miss and taught my family a valuable lesson. The lesson being that dad's junk is worth some real dollars, that can easily be changed into 100 bills.

Back