When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Colson

-

jwages

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey guys. I just picked up this Colson 20". It's a really neat little bike. Looks like original paint or an old restoration. I checked for a date code and only found a serial number (pictures below). I've read that Colson didn't start date coding separate from the serial number until 1938 but I can't imagine this bike pre-dates that. The seller says it's prewar. I can't tell. A penny for your two cents?

IMG_5885.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5887.JPG

IMG_5888.JPG

IMG_5889.JPG

IMG_5891.JPG

IMG_5892.JPG

IMG_5893.JPG

IMG_5894.JPG

IMG_5895.JPG

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5898.JPG

IMG_5899.JPG

IMG_5900.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

Well, here's my two cents since I'm by no means a Colson bicycle (of any size) expert. I'm only going by the paint scheme and colors which are identical to Colson tricycles of around the 1950 time period, along with the rubber topped Troxel saddle. Not sure how many years they used the same basic paint scheme or how far back (pre war?) it was applied, but if the seat is original I really don't believe it to be old enough to be pre-war. Just my thoughts FWIW.

Dave

Well, here's my two cents since I'm by no means a Colson bicycle (of any size) expert. I'm only going by the paint scheme and colors which are identical to Colson tricycles of around the 1950 time period, along with the rubber topped Troxel saddle. Not sure how many years they used the same basic paint scheme or how far back (pre war?) it was applied, but if the seat is original I really don't believe it to be old enough to be pre-war. Just my thoughts FWIW.

Dave
Hi, Dave. Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of looking at 30's and 40's era tricycles to find matching characteristics, but it was really helpful. I found that some 1940's Colson tricycles had the same paint scheme as my little Colson. I also found a few 1930's Colson tricycles that had the same Troxel rubber topped seat. Then I looked at the 1954 Colson catalog and found the model 3204. It looks like mine with a different head badge. Then I noticed that my head badge is held in place by screws and not rivets. I've never noticed screws holding on a head badge, so it could be a replacement. But then, mine is a skip tooth. Last, I found that several 1941 Colson models used the same chain guard as mine. Sooo, I still have no idea. Probably more info than you wanted.

Thinking it's around a '41 as well. I have a crusty ladies '41 looptail in the same paint scheme.
20161106_135025-jpg.jpg

20161106_135034-jpg.jpg

This is just a guess going by paint scheme really. I don't have access to my Colson book right now, but I'm sure there's some info on this little guy in there.

Last edited:
That was fast. Thanks. I thought that would help clarify the similarities. I was wrong. Lol

Back