When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little help with sissy bar please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloontyre

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Howdy muscle bike forum!
Doing research on this I've read it's a Persons sissy bar for Schwinn Stingray 1965/6 and onward, on both legs it's stamped 8571 (possibly the stock number).
Has anyone come across this sissy bar on a Schwinn?
Thank you for the input.

20181227_173117.jpg

No expert here. Is the bar stamped Persons? Looks like a Persons knock-off to me. I believe Schwinn went to a different sissy bar in ‘65, the high-loop bar, and boy would I like to find one of those. The ‘63-‘64 Sting-Rays used Persons bars, but they looked a little more squared off than the rounded one in your pic. But what do I know?

@furyus thank you, nope just marked with number. Ya similar to the squared early persons, not a high loop.
I have a early persons and both are constructed in the same manner except the loop, same weight of steel too. Dunno? Totally out of my norm...

I believe that one is a Persons made bar, sold by Schwinn as a Schwinn Approved sissy bar for BMX bikes. That is why the loop is so low on the top. You are correct that the 8571 is a part number.

It looks like the loop is at a 90 from the legs. Maybe that got smashed by USPS during a delivery like my chain guard. lol

I just got one kind of similar to that from Fleabay. I didn't realize the top was folded down 90° until it actually got here. Now, mine is different because it's not an axle mount. I do believe that the comment above about BMX bikes is correct. Right in this thread here on the CABE is a late 70s Schwinn Scrambler with a similar sissy bar.

All the BMX bars attach with clamps unlike your axle mounted bars. I believe yours are older than the early BMX era. Also, seems everything Persons made said Persons USA on it somewhere, even when made for someone else. I still think these are Persons knockoffs from way back.

Last edited:
Back