When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Little Street Bike Gang in Late '40's

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Harold (Pete) Allen

Finally riding a big boys bike
Bicycles at 120 N. Little (2).jpg

That's me (Pete) on the left, my brother, Charles in the middle and our neighbor across the street, Ronnie Odell. We were pretty tough! A couple years later we traded a lawn mower for a Whizzer. I had to ride on the back and kick at the dogs that would chase us down the street....what fun times!

The bike on the far right looks like it has a double duty Schwinn fork on it.

I have no recollection of the make of any of the bikes, but I seem to remember Ronnie's was a Schwinn...maybe you could date it. His was new and mine and Charles's were old used bikes. We used to do dare devil stunts on them....we stacked up concrete blocks in the alley and put a 2 X 12 on it to make a ramp. We spent many hours seeing who could jump the furthest. The alley was gravel and we had many scrapes and bruises, bloody elbows and knees. During those long hot summers we would think nothing of getting up early in the morning, filling our canteens with water and heading out for neighboring towns, distances of 15 to 20 miles each way. We took a patch kit from Western Auto and tied a hand pump on the bike for our numerous flat tires (our tires were old also). In those days when we were finished with the bikes (when we got a car) the bikes went to the city dump.
I wrote a story about learning to ride a bike on the gravel roads in Richards, Mo. when I was 6 and Charles was 8. That would have been in 1946. It was a full size bike and Charles could not reach the pedals. I would carry a 5 gallon bucket for him to stand on to get onto the bike. The only way for him to stop it was to crash it into the ditch, which he did quite frequently. I would run along with the bucket...he would ride and I would chase all over town (500 population) with the bucket.

I have no recollection of the make of any of the bikes, but I seem to remember Ronnie's was a Schwinn...maybe you could date it. His was new and mine and Charles's were old used bikes. We used to do dare devil stunts on them....we stacked up concrete blocks in the alley and put a 2 X 12 on it to make a ramp. We spent many hours seeing who could jump the furthest. The alley was gravel and we had many scrapes and bruises, bloody elbows and knees. During those long hot summers we would think nothing of getting up early in the morning, filling our canteens with water and heading out for neighboring towns, distances of 15 to 20 miles each way. We took a patch kit from Western Auto and tied a hand pump on the bike for our numerous flat tires (our tires were old also). In those days when we were finished with the bikes (when we got a car) the bikes went to the city dump.
I wrote a story about learning to ride a bike on the gravel roads in Richards, Mo. when I was 6 and Charles was 8. That would have been in 1946. It was a full size bike and Charles could not reach the pedals. I would carry a 5 gallon bucket for him to stand on to get onto the bike. The only way for him to stop it was to crash it into the ditch, which he did quite frequently. I would run along with the bucket...he would ride and I would chase all over town (500 population) with the bucket.

--------this is why I LOVE the Cabe!

Back