Little Street Bike Gang in Late '40's

Discussion in 'CABER's and Their Childhood Rides!' started by Harold (Pete) Allen, Dec 18, 2016.

1. #1 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Look Ma, No Hands!

2. #2 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Riding an Alexander Rocket Bike

Looks like trouble.

Flat Tire likes this.
  3. #3 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Look Ma, No Hands!

That's me (Pete) on the left, my brother, Charles in the middle and our neighbor across the street, Ronnie Odell. We were pretty tough! A couple years later we traded a lawn mower for a Whizzer. I had to ride on the back and kick at the dogs that would chase us down the street....what fun times!

mrg, ccmerz, PCHiggin and 11 others like this.
  4. #4 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe

They mean business!

5. #5 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

The bike on the far right looks like it has a double duty Schwinn fork on it.

6. #6 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Look Ma, No Hands!

I have no recollection of the make of any of the bikes, but I seem to remember Ronnie's was a Schwinn...maybe you could date it. His was new and mine and Charles's were old used bikes. We used to do dare devil stunts on them....we stacked up concrete blocks in the alley and put a 2 X 12 on it to make a ramp. We spent many hours seeing who could jump the furthest. The alley was gravel and we had many scrapes and bruises, bloody elbows and knees. During those long hot summers we would think nothing of getting up early in the morning, filling our canteens with water and heading out for neighboring towns, distances of 15 to 20 miles each way. We took a patch kit from Western Auto and tied a hand pump on the bike for our numerous flat tires (our tires were old also). In those days when we were finished with the bikes (when we got a car) the bikes went to the city dump.
    I wrote a story about learning to ride a bike on the gravel roads in Richards, Mo. when I was 6 and Charles was 8. That would have been in 1946. It was a full size bike and Charles could not reach the pedals. I would carry a 5 gallon bucket for him to stand on to get onto the bike. The only way for him to stop it was to crash it into the ditch, which he did quite frequently. I would run along with the bucket...he would ride and I would chase all over town (500 population) with the bucket.

7. #7 Posted Dec 18, 2016

Finally riding a big boys bike

Love your story Pete. What a great time in our history. Thanks for sharing your memories--I felt like I was there

rustystone2112 likes this.
  8. #8 Posted Jan 20, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

looks like it might have been the start of the cartel !!

9. #9 Posted Jan 21, 2017

Cruisin' on my Bluebird

--------this is why I LOVE the Cabe!

fordmike65 likes this.
  10. #10 Posted Jan 22, 2017

I live for the CABE

SURE LOOKS LIKE A DOUBLE DUTY FORK!

11. #11 Posted Apr 18, 2017

Look Ma, No Hands!

This picture was taken more than 65 years ago. I was visiting with Ronnie's older sister a couple days ago (she is about 80). I showed her the picture and she remembered the bike. Ronnie's mother bought the bike on the payment plan. Ronnie had talked her into buying it for him so he could deliver newspapers. She gave the payment book to him and he worked all year to pay for the bike....he was pretty proud of that. Unfortunately Ronnie passed away from cancer several years ago....he was a great childhood friend, and we did basic training together at Fort Leonard Wood in 1958.

Pete

12. #12 Posted Apr 20, 2017

I live for the CABE

Fort Lost in the Woods Misery....did my basic there in '61. Lots of other similarities in my life to your stories too. Thanks for sharing.

Mike