When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locking springer broke key easy fix.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Yesterday I picked up this '46 B6 with locking springer that has the key broke off in the lock. So earlier today I did a quick search, but didn't see any previous post on best way to get the broke key out.
So...after a good cleaning of the lock area with paper towel/steel wool/then WD40 I was able to see the broke part of the key pretty well. I was able to move the key part a little with a sharp pick, so I knew it wasn't rusted in. I first tried to grab it with a sharp ended pair of tweezers but no go. I then got a screw with a very sharp point and lightly screwed it into the channel in the middle of the key. Using a screwdriver I was able to turn the key & lock to the locked position where it has to be to get the key out. Then I just simply pulled the broken key part out with the screw. Maybe there are other better ways to do this but it worked for me.

20190218_191308.jpg

20190218_191149.jpg

20190218_191122.jpg

20190218_191035.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant...I'm spoiled here with a surplus of NOS Hibbard plugs so I just drill out the plug
and pull out the cylinder and chase the broken key out from the back end of the tumbler

i recall a locksmith, when he removed a key from a 1949 Schwinn lock cylinder back in 2001, used the same method but with a screw like tool that made the removal which grabbed the broken part slide out much more successful than my use of tweezers(wasted a bunch of time with the tweezers).

I’ve tried that on two different lock with no luck! Good for you , at least it worked for someone!!

Sure you got the key out but you run the risk of damaging the cylinder, which means if you get a replacement key made it won't work. Drill a 1/8 inch hole in the plug and remove it and back the key out the right way. It's been posted at least a dozen times how to do it correctly. It's very easy to do.

Back