When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long rumored Bendix Automatic clones may be real after all.

-

ricobike

Wore out three sets of tires already!

SAN FRANCISCO (BRAIN) — The Merry Sales Company worked with International Cycle Gears of India to produce the Eagle brand 2-speed coaster brake hub, which is based on the original specs and design of the Bendix 2-speed coaster brake hubs.

I had read a rumor about this years ago, the rumor said they were working with Worksman so I naturally thought of Worksman bicycles. So much time passed I figured it wasn't real. If this is true, I have a feeling they will get a lot of request for index springs :).

I saw this ad on FB, I think. They are also selling both red and blue band hubs, I think. Looks promising. I bet the internals are very different than the originals so I doubt the parts are inter-changable.

I saw this ad on FB, I think. They are also selling both red and blue band hubs, I think. Looks promising. I bet the internals are very different than the originals so I doubt the parts are inter-changable.
From the link I posted above:

"We wanted to honor Mark's memory by completing this project. 2-speed hubs are manufactured as per the original specs and design of Bendix, so that all the small spare parts would be fully compatible with the original Bendix-made hubs. We've accomplished Mark's goal," says Jim Porter, the president of The Merry Sales Co.

and

MSRP is expected to be $119.99. All small parts are available.

More information: merrysales.com.

The article talks about blue/yellow band:

The hubs come with Blue and Yellow bands, like the original. The yellow band hubs have a low gear: 1 sprocket turn for .67 hub turn to go up hills easier. High gear is 1:1. The blue band has 1:1 low gear, and high is overdrive: 1 sprocket turn for 1.5 hub turn.

On their site I only see the blue band listed. I wonder if these take after market sprockets for skiptooth like ichibike?

image?unique=79c4311.jpg

The article talks about blue/yellow band:

The hubs come with Blue and Yellow bands, like the original. The yellow band hubs have a low gear: 1 sprocket turn for .67 hub turn to go up hills easier. High gear is 1:1. The blue band has 1:1 low gear, and high is overdrive: 1 sprocket turn for 1.5 hub turn.

On their site I only see the blue band listed. I wonder if these take after market sprockets for skiptooth like ichibike?

View attachment 1375490
I found the graphic (from facebook) from October of 2018 that first alerted me to this.

According to this, the driver/cog assembly will still be same as the original.

I was able to hold one of the yellow band hubs from India in my hands. It was surprisingly nice. I was told all of the parts interchange, but I highly doubt they are as good as the original bendix stuff. The price on the replacement index spring was going to be ridiculously cheap.

I was able to hold one of the yellow band hubs from India in my hands. It was surprisingly nice. I was told all of the parts interchange, but I highly doubt they are as good as the original bendix stuff. The price on the replacement index spring was going to be ridiculously cheap.
Very cool. I was kind of thinking the same thing. I had a Yellow Band that I'd ridden really hard with little maintenance. Most of the parts were pitted on the bearing faces including the hub shell. Not wanting to relace another hub into the wheel, I used a dremel to smooth out the races on the shell then replaced the other parts. The hardening on the originals appear to go pretty deep into the shell, I was able to smooth it out and I'm still riding on it. I highly doubt that these new hubs will achieve that level of quality but I'm sure for most applications they'll be fine.

I think I saw where the index springs cost 10 cents back in the 60's. Probably won't be that cheap but hopefully a few bucks maybe?

Back