Long spring seat

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

The Carolina Rambler

Finally riding a big boys bike
Nov 25, 2018
North Carolina
Hello! I figured I might would add to this conversation. I did a restoration about a year ago, and as part of the restoration, I had to recover a 1920s- 30s long spring seat. I did it all by hand, and it took around 15 hours or so I believe. Here is a link to my post, and about mid way down, you can see the photos of the seat I did. Granted, its not as good probably as a professional upholsterer can do, but it looks decent, and has held up for the past 100 miles of riding or so, without any problem. Comfortable too, and the only real cost in restoring it was about $20 worth of leather plus my time. All hand stitched from scratch, and done in the original style. Hope this helps, and I can provide additional detail and information later once I get off work. Thank you.

Reactions: piercer_99 and Miq

the tinker

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 4, 2014
Planet Mongo

The frame on this seat was much worse than yours. I'm surprised any of these frames remain, as the spring steel wire support didn't work that well. It easily fatigued with use and broke or bent, if the rider was too heavy. This frame was bent, badly rusted and the top rails were broke on both sides. I straightened them out and cut a couple 2 inch sections of steel automotive brake line and slipped them over the broken sections. I did this a while ago .

I think I applied some J. B. Weld inside the brake line before I slipped them on the broken frame wires.[ No CABER can live without that stuff] I've ridden this bike plenty since then and it's held up nice. Look closely on the second photo and you can see the slightly thicker section on the top wire. It starts at the seat clamp bolt and ends where a chip of the black paint is missing, just above where the lucky seven curves. Your saddle will look nice. Welcome to the hobby.
My wife painted the seat-frame . Here's a picture of her, in her riding clothes.

Balloonoob

I live for the CABE
Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado

The frame on this seat was much worse than yours. I'm surprised any of these frames remain, as the spring steel wire support didn't work that well. It easily fatigued with use and broke or bent, if the rider was too heavy. This frame was bent, badly rusted and the top rails were broke on both sides. I straightened them out and cut a couple 2 inch sections of steel automotive brake line and slipped them over the broken sections. I did this a while ago .

I think I applied some J. B. Weld inside the brake line before I slipped them on the broken frame wires.[ No CABER can live without that stuff] I've ridden this bike plenty since then and it's held up nice. Look closely on the second photo and you can see the slightly thicker section on the top wire. It starts at the seat clamp bolt and ends where a chip of the black paint is missing, just above where the lucky seven curves. Your saddle will look nice. Welcome to the hobby.
My wife painted the seat-frame . Here's a picture of her, in her riding clothes.
Nice fix! Turned out great and looks strong.

Reactions: the tinker

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Dec 27, 2015
Sanger, TX
Do u have replacements ? How much if u do?
if you are looking for parts for this saddle, try @patmcclerren2 he has a stash of long spring parts and may have what you need.

also, where @Miq mentioned not needing the zip ties, there are actually small clamps, that wrap around the main spring brace and clamp to the bolts on the saddle, above where the spring frame bolts at the rear of the saddle. I will try to get a photo of what they look like from my saddle.

Reactions: bikerbluz

Ernest Varney

Oct 23, 2016
Nashua N.H.
Yes thats exactly wat ill need plus the springs as well cuz the originals are bent all up i think

Ernest Varney

Oct 23, 2016
Nashua N.H.
I dont know wat you mean i guess i need to know if this thing is worth the 95 bucks with all the problems im facing making it useable

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

Miq

I live for the CABE
Jan 12, 2019
Arizona
$95 should get you a much better saddle than that in my opinion. I've never seen one like that, so I don't know how collectible it is, but that doesn't seem like something you care about.

Ernest Varney

Oct 23, 2016
Nashua N.H.
Ya i care about it i just like the look of the longspring seat but im thinking its not a good deal now that all the coments are coming in

Balloonoob

I live for the CABE
Jan 24, 2019
Longmont Colorado
Wow - stem included https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-seat.164928/

I like the look and sturdiness of this one
Spend a little more and get less headache https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/prewar-troxel-long-spring-saddle.163305/

Looks like you are just North of Boston. There's gotta be some killer swaps in your area. Look here: https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/w...suggestions-please.142790/page-3#post-1005176

Lots of Cabers over there too. Igrinnings for one. Handyman too.
Some folks have nice stuff they might get rid of not listed in the for sale section.

Reactions: piercer_99 and Miq

STRADALITE

I live for the CABE
Mar 5, 2008
San Diego
I dont know wat you mean i guess i need to know if this thing is worth the 95 bucks with all the problems im facing making it useable
Not worth $95.
The springs aren’t correct for the main chassis rails among other issues.
And as I mentioned it looks like a girls seat.

Reactions: the tinker

Archie Sturmer

I live for the CABE
Jun 13, 2018
Los Angeles, CA, USA
The 1-piece springs look fairly unique, which make for a challenging special project; might not be best material match for a 1951 Panther.

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!