When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long spring seat

-

Ernest Varney

Finally riding a big boys bike
Im looking for tips to redo my seat but it looks like theres only one pan so im confused on how to do this, also does anyone know where to get parts for these types of seats?

Screenshot_2020-02-18-00-30-30.png

Screenshot_2020-02-18-00-31-42.png

Screenshot_2020-02-18-00-30-13.png

Screenshot_2020-02-18-00-31-30.png

Check out this thread from the Tinker. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/re-cover-a-saddle-quick-cheap.92195/page-3. It's a fun and helpful read. It's much easier with a dual pan saddle but In Post 45 @Miq covered a single pan long spring. Covering all or the majority of the bottom with leather as clean as possible yielded pretty good results. The post below it shows my re-cover..... In hindsight I should have used a bit more padding for added comfort. The techniques in this thread obviously won't yield a restoration quality result (there are a couple really good saddle restoration guys on the cabe) but they will make it look nicer and get it quite usable.

Not sure what parts you need... Maybe post in the wanted section with what you are looking for. I would put penetrating oil on every nut and bolt before taking it apart as to not break or strip anything. Good luck!

Thanks buddy, havent got the seat yet but ya im gonna use penetrating oil and let it sit a day or two the take it apart and do wat i gotta do im hoping to make it look nice the single pan is intimidating as all hell but ill give it a go, again thanks

Ernest,

Keep in mind it doesn't look all that good until you finish gluing and clamping all the top leather. Don't get discouraged, it takes some effort. It helps if you have a plan on how you are going to fold and trim the leather to get a smooth surface before you open the contact cement bottle. :)

You have to clean the rust and get all the pieces as nice as possible before you cover it. I bet it will clean up well and be great on a ratty bike.

This wire frame version has the frame rod formed around the vertical spring posts, blended in with a continuous helical spring, separating it into the top and bottom spring sections. There is a bolt and nut in other versions that allows you to disassemble the 4 separate springs from the frame. So many versions of long spring saddles...

Last edited:
Hi Ernest,

I edited my post while you were reading it. :)

I don't think anything is missing, but the U shaped spring post should be riding under the humps in the seat frame. The zip ties are not needed to hold the posts.

Back