When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Look what rolled into my office this morning. Red Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mstovall

Look Ma, No Hands!
This Schwinn Red Corvette rolled into my office this morning. Co-worker said it belonged to his uncle who was a B-17 pilot in WW2. I'm guessing that it is from 1955??? Any help. I know the seat is not original. Anything else any of you see that doesn't look right or missing? I'm planning on cleaning it up and polishing it for him. Might even purchase it to go along with my Camaro bike. Where can I find a corvette decal to go back on chain guard? Should this bike have a front brake? Is the two- speed Bendix with coaster brake rare? It's a real nice survivor.

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

Great lookin bike there
T 1 serial number should indicate "55" the resilience of Schwinn Quality never ceases to surprise me , their bicycles always clean up soo nicely, I think you pegged it on the seat not looking right, everything else looks good .....hope it doesn't distract you from work to much...

Have a nice day!

You are correct about the seat. In 55, the Corvette was equipped with a "teacup" headlight. Bicyclebones has your decal on ebay.

In the 55 sales brochure, a 3 speed and a coaster brake are mentioned but not a two speed?

In 55 for $7.50 you could get the two speed Bendix as an upgrade over the Single speed coaster hub. It was standard in 55 for the Flying Star. A front caliper brake was available for $5.00 but that bike looks to original, other than the seat, to have had one even though the fork is drilled.

nice bike,clean,sevice and enjoy,dont chase the 55 seat just wait till ones comes up,the front carrier you have is prolly just as hard to find as the seat,pic of the 55 seat,theydidnt last long

30738089_10211644094919179_3386349509784109056_n.jpg

Nice survivor. The serial number was stamped in late Sept. 1955 and was not used again some other year so it is a 1955 model. The geared Corvettes in 1955 had a cable clip riveted to the top of the chain guard but was never used but the coaster brake models didn't have that cable clip. The two speed manual Bendix was not a standard option on the Corvette until the 1958 model year. But as stated above, it could have been ordered or dealer add on. Only thing I question is the routing of the cable. The Flying Star was routed like that but I don't think the Corvettes were ever routed that way. Here's a shot of my 58 that came with the 2 speed and a front caliper. The cable routing ran down the down tube.

Here's the early Corvette chain guard decal.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=312580010197

Back