When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for 27 X 1 inch tire tubes.

-

John Gialanella

Finally riding a big boys bike
I can buy 27 X 1 inch tires for my Schwinn Superior (it has the original 27 X 1 inch Schwinn super record tires on) which I am not going to ride on. But I cannot locate any tubes for these tires. All I see is 27 X 1 1/8 or 27 X 1 1/4 inch tubes. If they still sell 27 X 1inch tires you would think they also would sell the correct tubes. Can someone help.
John.

I believe that 27” is 630mm in metric, and 700c is 622mm in metric; so that would be a tighter fit by about 4mm on each side, (or all around for a circle). A tighter fit might be made to work, but perhaps also introduce other difficulties — (such as when installing and removing the tight-fit tires).

The other way around, 4mm looser all-around, would probably be a no-go.

Oops, I see that you were asking about tubes, not tires.

Sometimes the box for the tubes will specify both 700 compatible and 27” compatible applications; that are often different than the marked or molded size on the tubes themselves. Online retailers might not go to the trouble of listing all of the applications.

I remember the school science teacher explaining how the inside diameter will increase (instead of decrease) when an inner tube is inflated.

Last edited:
I haven't ever tried to put 700c tires on a 27" rim but my gut tells me that's going to be extremely difficult. 27x1 1/4 tires are readily available, is that close enough? Tubes are somewhat interchangeable.

Back