When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for advice on Wards Hawthorne project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I purchased this old girl a few months back and am just getting around to seeing what needs to be done with her. She rides great. I think she’s either a ‘40 or ’41 but I’m not sure. She's missing a headlight lens and as far as I can tell everything is original except the grips and maybe the tires and seat. I’d like to know which grips, seat and tires I need. She’s definitely got her share (and then some) of patina. There’s plenty of surface rust but everything is solid underneath. My problem is that I really don’t know what to do with her. I definitely don’t want to paint or do anything major. I’d like to bring out any original color that’s left. I’ve read about using oxalic acid but I don’t have any experience with that. I could learn. Also, I’ve read something about boiled linseed oil and turpentine. I would appreciate any suggestions any of you have on the best course of action. ThanksView attachment 931362

View attachment 931364

View attachment 931365
Wards 1941 spring and summer catalog was the first time these skirts were featured... "New style for the modern miss. New design streamlined all-metal skirt guard." Also, in the 1942 spring and summer catalogs it shows the new ball shaped headlight and the "New design streamlined chain guards. Full length style. Covers both sides of sprocket." I'd say you've got a '41. I love it too!

Go with OA. Don't be afraid of how much you use. I completey dissembled the below bike and soaked it overnight in OA. It looked like a weird green before I started. Have fun. JimRoy
B0BF596A-8348-4095-AB79-F3F762FC9101.jpg

Nobody has mentioned Waxoyl.
I use it on all my bikes, especially the ones that have almost no pain left.
It’s expensive, but less so if you make your own. It is basically turpentine, light machine oil and beeswax.

Back