When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for better tubes

-

stingray66

Look Ma, No Hands!
Ok I have a BIG question here what is the story about todays inner tubes?? yester day had other flat on my one varsity that was just sitting
on that bike have brand NEW kenda road tires MY LBS sells Serfs tubes and keeps giving my 700X28-133 Keeps telling me that 27x1-1/4 are obsolete. Any way this is the 3rd flat on this bike in a month and its been sitting There is NOTHING in the tire. THE leaks are coming from the tube seams Tried Kenda 700x28/32c and had the same thing after a few weeks goes flat were the seems are. Also I have FOUR original schwinn tubes form the 70s sitting here and you can see that they are much more thicker AND NOT AS skinny as the 700x28-133 Right now on my 73 varsity I have the Schwalbe HA 159 tires and a set of sunlite tubes size 27x1-1/4 that the LBS shop had a few of them They so far are holding up as of yesterday I have 675 miles on my Schwalbe tires since aug 2 I think the 27 inch size is the main thing BUT I remember as a kid living in Southern California back in the 60s I had a 10 speed varsity and i rode that thing all over and NEVER had a flat today I think the thicker tubes were why So now that I have the bullet proof schwalbe tires I am now looking to find thicker and better 27x1-1/4 tubes also if this size is obsolete then I going to be buying two more sets of the schwalbe this week then next month buy more and do the same with the tubes when I find what I am looking for why are todays tubes so thin like paper
modify_inline.gif

I've gone the other way and run latex tubes in all my bikes - with one exception - my daughter's upright with 42mm Soma SV has Schwalbe ultralight because I don't want to pump it every week.

My 38mm Compass tire planted a thumbtack - heard it as a 1xR click. I stopped immediately and expected to hear a whoosh when I pulled it out.
But the tube did not puncture - it stretched around the tack - that was 4000 mi ago. It's also a patched latex tube that was previously on another bike.

When I was running 27x1-1/8" with Challenge CX latex tube, I had one flat. That was where a yucca blade cut a slit in the tread and the latex balooned out and popped.

Back