When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looking for correct TIRE SIZE for a 1992 SCHWINN VOYAGEUR

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tomtr6

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a nice 1992 SCHWINN VOYAGEUR. Looking to buy new tires. I can't make out if the size on the old ones is 27x1 1/8 or 27x 1 1/4. On the existing tire it also says "to fit K2 type rim" thanks for any help.

I have a nice 1992 SCHWINN VOYAGEUR. Looking to buy new tires. I can't make out if the size on the old ones is 27x1 1/8 or 27x 1 1/4. On the existing tire it also says "to fit K2 type rim" thanks for any help.
Post this in the Schwinn thread, you might get a quicker response

I believe that most 27” tires are 630mm, and they might not come in too many width sizes, (most likely 1+1/4” or 1+1/8”).
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/tire-question.157652/
The S-6 is a rim profile, “lightweight Endrick standard”. Not sure about K2 rims, perhaps made of aluminum alloy by the 1990’s?
The 1+1/8” is more of a racing tire, while 1+1/4” has a little bit more cushioning.
There is also a 1+3/8” knobby gum wall tire at economical prices.

Last edited:
There's nothing special about a K2 rim, it's not a Schwinn unique tire size.

As Detroit bike said, any 27 X 1 1/8, or 27 X 1 1//4 tire will fit.

John

Since the Voyageur was a touring bike, I think the 1 1/4 size is more appropriate for it.
That's what I'm using on the '86 Voyageur that I'm presently re-doing.

Since the Voyageur was a touring bike, I think the 1 1/4 size is more appropriate for it.
That's what I'm using on the '86 Voyageur that I'm presently re-doing.
Agree, the best Old School tire used during the 1970's was the Schwinn Le Tour. It had a 1 1/4" cross section, 85# air pressure, and it was a skin wall, very lightweight tire. I used them on my Paramount Tandem. It was a very high quality "vintage tire".

John

Looked through my catalogs. Unfortunately I'm missing the '92.
The '91 Voyageur, which pretty much looks the same, is listed as using 27" x 1 1/4".
Attached is a Voyageur comparison chart which someone put together.

Voyageur comparison.jpg

I had a Voyageur 11.8 in the eighties, it had the 1 1/8 race tires. Riding it to high school on northern NJ's moon surfaced roads were terrible for it! It got to where the back rim would start to taco when I made a sharp turn! Had to find a Varsity to get a pair of steel wheels, that could take the punishment! It was stolen off the school bike rack, I'd become lazy about locking it. Found a no name white dept. store ten speed on trash day, gave it a rattle can camo paint job. It was too ugly and identifiable to be stolen!

Back