When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for help in identifying bike from 1935....

-

bbell98138

'Lil Knee Scuffer
When my dad died in 1993 I took ownership of a bicycle of his that he had kept his entire life.
He repainted it when he retired in 1987 but it’s in very rough shape and I’d like to return it to some semblance of its former glory.
I do know that he bought it when he was 10 years old (1935, probably with his own money).
They were country folks so I always assumed he ordered it from the Sears catalog, but that may not be correct. Additionally I always remembered it has being a garbage can grey, but my dad repainted it red and white in 87 and I think I’m seeing some bright red original paint.
I have access to old Sears catalogs and it kind of looks like a Sears/Elgin Oriole except the kickstand is different. I know the bike once had a crossbar on the handlebars that is now missing, but I don’t think it ever had a chain guard or other accessories like light or tank, etc. Recently I saw a picture of a Shapleigh Rugby which actually looks as much or more similar to this bike than the Oriole does.
I believe the serial number is 5D3099 (see picture), but unfortunately the badge is missing from the front.

I've been so impressed by reading through the forums on this site I was hopeful that someone could help me identify it.
Thank you!

20200518_122918 - reduced.jpg

20200512_182245-reduced.jpg

20200512_182200-reduced.jpg

20200517_192842-reduced.jpg

Thank you for the lead, I'll try researching into Colson. I'm certain however that the fenders are the originals and equally as certain that the pedals are not.
The kickstand I'm not sure about as he might have replaced that before my time.
Thanks again.

I would have to agree with SKPC, I think you have a Colson. The front fork and the chainring are the tell tale signs. Yours could have been a Flyer, a Rover, which are the most commen, or it could have been a number of other badges. A lot of it has to do with the position of the badge mounting holes. I think everything you have there is original to it except for your pedals, kik stand, and the paint of course. You might also appear to have 2 different rims on you bike, both are period to the 1930s. A lot of the Colsons they built at that time were of a paint scheme similar to that which your father gave it. I have also seen red and black, and usually with 2 bands of color on the fenders. Also often with golden pinstripes between the colors. If you look at my profile image, I have a 1935 Colson Rover I restored, possibly the same model as yours but with a number of accessories installed. Mine also has the New Departure Model D brake like yours has. That might help give you some ideas with your bike's restoration. The biggest thing to be sure of is to have fun and relive the memories!

Thank you!!!!!!
Here is a link to the post I did on this bike. Although the paint colors I chose may or may not have been ones used by the Colson Company, they're not too far from it, but the patterns of the paint used I think is accurate. Colson used a good many different variations in paints on these earlier models, so you have a good deal of choices to decide on.

Another good thing to try is simply googling pictures of these early colsons, and you can see those owned by others, many of which do have original good paint!

Back