When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for help in identifying bike from 1935....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
See below for Colson serial number thread. Add yours to it if you'd like.https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/pre-1937-colson-serial-number-project.128901/page-2#post-944838 Here is the badge that I put on my 34. I was told it came off a 35 model though. My bike has mostly non-original parts ; some are period though. Now has an old model d hub laced to mo

dern 28"wheels. I like your ride. Very cool to have your dad's old bike.

I had to run out back to get another picture but although the "loop" isn't present on mine I think it does most closely resemble your picture #1.
Bottom line, I think it's close enough if not exact to what originally came on the bike, that I'll feel comfortable restoring it as opposed to replacing it.
Thanks for your help!

20200522_230956.jpg

Colson, in the mid-1933 year, joined the 26" clincher bandwagon, but continued to make the 28' wheeled cycles as well during this year. I wonder when they stopped making the 28" frames? @Phattiremike 's 1933 bike above is a 28-er and my 1933 bike is a 26-er, and the serial numbers are very close. When measuring the frame specs, we discovered that the chain stay length and fork length are longer on the 28" frames. I have posted these measurements in the Colson serial number thread.
Other makers of motorbike straight-bar frames through the late 30's(38?) like Snyder and Elgin, were also making these frames that ran both
26 or 28-er wheels, but they used one frame for both wheel sizes and simply provided a fender spacer to use if you put 26" wheels on it. Not Colson though, they made two different spec'd frame sizes specific to wheel size. What do your chain-stay and fork lengths measure? (see Colson serial number thread for measurement comparison.) This will tell you whether your frame is 26 or 28..

Colson, in the mid-1933 year, joined the 26" clincher bandwagon, but continued to make the 28' wheeled cycles as well during this year. I wonder when they stopped making the 28" frames? @Phattiremike 's 1933 bike above is a 28-er and my 1933 bike is a 26-er, and the serial numbers are very close. When measuring the frame specs, we discovered that the chain stay length and fork length are longer on the 28" frames. I have posted these measurements in the Colson serial number thread.
Other makers of motorbike straight-bar frames through the late 30's(38?) like Snyder and Elgin, were also making these frames that ran both
26 or 28-er wheels, but they used one frame for both wheel sizes and simply provided a fender spacer to use if you put 26" wheels on it. Not Colson though, they made two different spec'd frame sizes specific to wheel size. What do your chain-stay and fork lengths measure? (see Colson serial number thread for measurement comparison.) This will tell you whether your frame is 26 or 28..
Thank you. I'll check out the thread and measure my fork length tomorrow. Pardon my ignorance but how do I measure the chain-stay? Or is that discussed in the serial number thread?

Yes, there are two hand-drawn diagrams showing how and where to measure both...

I've seen the option for a 28" Colson frame at least into 1937.

Back