When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for help in identifying bike from 1935....

-
Colson, in the mid-1933 year, joined the 26" clincher bandwagon, but continued to make the 28' wheeled cycles as well during this year. I wonder when they stopped making the 28" frames? @Phattiremike 's 1933 bike above is a 28-er and my 1933 bike is a 26-er, and the serial numbers are very close. When measuring the frame specs, we discovered that the chain stay length and fork length are longer on the 28" frames. I have posted these measurements in the Colson serial number thread.
Other makers of motorbike straight-bar frames through the late 30's(38?) like Snyder and Elgin, were also making these frames that ran both
26 or 28-er wheels, but they used one frame for both wheel sizes and simply provided a fender spacer to use if you put 26" wheels on it. Not Colson though, they made two different spec'd frame sizes specific to wheel size. What do your chain-stay and fork lengths measure? (see Colson serial number thread for measurement comparison.) This will tell you whether your frame is 26 or 28..
Perhaps due to the way I took my measurements (see attached pictures) but oddly enough my forks seem to be longer like the 28" but the chain-stay in line with the 26".

20200528_154817.jpg

20200528_161128.jpg

If your fork measures 14.5" which it seems to read on your tape(center of axle to lower truss plate) then it looks like a 26"-er. Your seat tube measurement is spot on 19" like my 26"er. Your other measurement(chain stay) should be from the Bottom bracket (crankset) shell center back towards the rear axle exactly as shown below...16.5" I will predict that yours will also measure 16.5"....if it measures 17" I will be suprised...see below.
1590722223885.png

If your fork measures 14.5" which it seems to read on your tape(center of axle to lower truss plate) then it looks like a 26"-er. Your seat tube measurement is spot on 19" like my 26"er. Your other measurement(chain stay) should be from the Bottom bracket (crankset) shell center back towards the rear axle exactly as shown below...16.5" I will predict that yours will also measure 16.5"....if it measures 17" I will be suprised...see below.
View attachment 1202422
Gotcha, thanks. I'll take that measurement tomorrow. I appreciate your tolerance of my nube-ness.

Tho not about motorbike Colsons, maybe this can help a bit?

Back