When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info again..

-

kahloop1

Look Ma, No Hands!
Would like to thank everyone who has responded to my questions, this group is am
20200203_165857.jpg
20200203_165942.jpg
20200203_165916.jpg
20200203_165928.jpg
20200203_170156.jpg
20200203_170024.jpg
azing. Am now seeking info on this vintage Philips road bike. Has Sturmy Archer rims.

The rear hub should be dated. Typical English lightweight. I'm sure others will chime in with more info. V/r Shawn

TI owned Phillips before it bought Raleigh.
Ti bought Raleigh in 1960.
The fact it says Nottingham rather than Birmingham, it was made by Raleigh after 1960, and could even be after 1970.

Like @bulldog1935 says, your Phillips was built by Raleigh. The 10 speeds are harder to date than the 3 speeds, but Kurt Kaminer's "The Headbadge" website has a page showing where Raleigh put the serial numbers in various years, which may at least narrow it down.
http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html
It also may help to look for variations of the rear derailleur (looks like a Huret Alvit) on VeloBase.com. I couldn't post a link, but a search will bring it up.

Last edited:
-----

Pedals appear to be Phillips Apollo pattern. The black plastic dustcaps mark them as relatively late production. Evidently TI/RI got the rights to the Apollo when they bought the badge/company...

---

WRT employing the Freres Huret Allvit rear mech for dating purposes (model nr. 1900) -

you can make a visit to VB where the different iterations are shown in some detail to help you date the example on the bicycle.

the pulleys are one dating aid. the early Allvit iterations have all-metal pulleys. later on plastic "tyres" were added to them. these were done in both black and in red. the tyre colour is one additional dating aid.

the front mech is an Allvit model 600. beginning in 1966 Huret launched the model Luxe 700 front mech which somewhat resembles the Allvit but has two adjustment screws for travel instead of the one screw of the Allvit.

there are a number of individual year Huret catalogues available at velo-pages.com. they have very good parts drawings for specific product models which can assist you to determine a model year (or narrow period) for the cycle's rear mech.

-----

Last edited:
A Phillips version? This is something new to me, as I've been used to seeing the same bike badged as a Triumph, or possibly a Dunelt. I'm going to guess lae 60's/early 70's based on the other models I've seen. Despite the color and badging, the equipment is identical to the aforementioned marques.

It never made any sense as to why the TI/Raleigh conglomerate bothered making these bikes. During the early 70's anything that was a 10-speed sold like crazy, and why the factory would turn these out instead of Raleigh Records was beyond me (and my boss, who owned the bike shop). The Raleigh was a more prestigious brand, sold for a better price ($100.00 for a Record in the early 70's, probably $85-90.00 for these), and while customers would get on 6-8 week waiting lists for their Raleigh to arrive, they would primarily buy these bikes because they had to have a 10-speed and the Raleighs (and Schwinns) were completely sold out.

-----

One reason to keep all of these marques going is market penetration.

TI/Raleigh could go to a retailer and say we shall give you the exclusivity for Raleigh in such and such an area/population.

Very well.

Then they could go to a nearby shop and say "Look the guy over on Elm St. has the exclusivity for Raleigh in this area but we can give you the same bikes under the Triumph/Dunelt/Phillips/Robin Hood, etc. marques."

Read here why Raleigh brought back the old Meteor badge which had been snoozing for decades -

[scroll down about 2/3 of the way for the Meteor entry]

For example, Motobecane did the same thing with the Orly, Astra, Dynamax, Monfort & Motoconfort badges.

Howie Cohen of West Coast Cycle Supply had his Nishiki badge but sold many of the same machines as American Eagle, Azuki, Premium, etc.

Centurion created the Ventura badge for the same machines to pack more product into a given market.

And last, but not least(!), Mondia did it with their Juvela badge. :eek:

-----

Last edited:
Back