When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on a Carrara bike / not Carrera

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

in2002

On Training Wheels
I bought this bike because I like the styling of the fenders and chain guard and the lugged frame. Didn't know anything about it when I bought it and I still don't know much about the company or year of manufacture. I'm guessing 50s-60s? There doesn't seem to be anything on the net about a company called Carrara (not Carrera, I'm assuming). The wheels are 26" and I took them in to a local bike shop and they matched them to a 1 1/2" wide 40-584 tire.

There is one listing currently on ebay for a Carrara fork for a 28" wheel which says "made in italy" on it. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=122278898790
By the measurements, my fork could also take a 28" wheel also. This is the only thing I've been able to find on the internet that even confirms there are Carrara's out there (in Slovakia anyway).

I would have posted in middleweight or lightweight forums, but I don't think this qualifies as either. All the middleweights on there look similar to my '65 Schwinn Heavy Duti with a stingray frame. And I just don't think of a coaster brake equipped bike as a lightweight, but maybe they can be.

The only bike I've found so far online that is similar, is in a photostock image, with the badge possibly obscured, but the chain guard looks identical:
https://www.shutterstock.com/search...&page=1&sort=popular&image_type=all&safe=true

Any way, just putting this out here to try to learn more if possible, before I make plans for this bike and move forward with it eventually.
carrara 2017-01.jpg
carrara 2017-01a.jpg
carrara 2017-01b.jpg
carrara 2017-01c.jpg
carrara 2017-01d.jpg

There was a French manufacturer called Carrara, based in the town of Créteil in the val de Marne region, on the south-eastern outskirts of Paris. I believe Joseph Carrara was an early champion cyclist.
Are there any names on the brake calipers, lights, saddle or hubs? With that chainguard it could be as early as the 1940's. Your example looks very French with the red tyres and papillon wheel nuts; the close example in your link looks a little more Italian I think.
Nice find!

Thanks, I like it, but wasn't sure if there was much interest in bikes like this. That would be incredible if it were from the 40's, I've never had anything from before the 60's I don't believe. (Had a Philco bike that I never could find anything on years ago that I sold)
• Front brake caliper - no name found - but there is of the largest initials on the brake lever "C.L.B." on the first line with another line of what appears to be 5 more initials maybe
• Lights - no name found
• Seat: "A. Wolber" on an aluminum tag on the back with "Wolber" embossed on the sides
• Rear hub needs to be cleaned, but the coaster arms says Perry on it
• Front fender, interestingly enough, is embossed with a design not unlike the Eiffel Tower, with the intials BRN reading left to right, with the "R" at the top
• Stem says "PIVO" on both sides
• Crank arms both have a name, which I may be able to read upon cleaning them up. Incidentally, I put on some known good pedals, and with the chain removed, found the left arm is most likely bent.

The ebay fork bearing the name Carrara and made in Italy had me assuming this was the same company with the same country of origin I guess

sDSC04884.jpg

Interesting gusset of sorts / put on the new tires in order to check out the cranks / hubs. Thought about holding out for red tires if I can find them, but there were absolutely no marking left on the sidewall of the old tires to determine size. I thought 1 1/2" width wasn't wide enough, but they'll do for now until I can get it ride-able again. Everything needs cleaned and greased.
sDSC04888.jpg

"cut out" on rear fender and bracket with wiring that goes to a bracket where a rear light likely was mounted, points to a generator belongs on this bracket on the rear stays
sDSC04889.jpg

Carrara, based in the town of Créteil

thanks, looks to be a company in France - wouldn't have found this without your mention of Creteil:
966_001.jpg

Emile Carrara and Raoul Lesueur both associated with the company - with the same logo and the 1950 date, one could guess my bike is within a year or two either side of 1950?

That's a Perry 2 star hub.
There should be a number stamped on the brake reaction arm and on the main hub, the last 2 digits will give you the year of manufacture for the hub at least and in all probability the whole machine.
Tyres are most likely 650b size, ballon or demi-ballon, though you'll have to check what'll fit inside those deep all-weather mudguards.
French bicycles are pretty popular over here in the UK, not so sure how popular where you are.
Dynamo generators of this vintage are readily available on French eBay, as are complete lighting sets and many other period accessories too.

That's a Perry 2 star hub.
There should be a number stamped on the brake reaction arm and on the main hub, the last 2 digits will give you the year of manufacture for the hub at least and in all probability the whole machine.
Tyres are most likely 650b size, ballon or demi-ballon, though you'll have to check what'll fit inside those deep all-weather mudguards.
French bicycles are pretty popular over here in the UK, not so sure how popular where you are.
Dynamo generators of this vintage are readily available on French eBay, as are complete lighting sets and many other period accessories too.
The only numbers that are visible after cleaning are on the hub body and read 36 14. This is the first time I've ever seen a Perry hub, and I don't think French bikes of this era were much ever imported to the U.S. Maybe there's some locations on the East or West coasts that have some, but I wouldn't think so from what I've seen. There isn't any numbers on the brake arm on either side.
sDSC04894.jpg

I'll definitely be doing more searching, parts for this bike locally are nonexistent. The only 650 tires I've seen were on bike being used by triathletes.

650b tyres are for a rim with diameter of 584 mm. If this is your size rim then you might want to check out the "Grand Bois" hêtre tyres, they come in natural sidewalls with red tread and are 650 x 42.

Crank set is really hard to read, but finally made out Bavilux on each arm. Found some expired listing from French ebay, but nothing current. I think I'd like to keep this original as possible, or at least have the parts period correct.

I also found an auction for an identity tag, which this bike has on the stem bolt. If I find anything from it I'll post it. I guess it may be from France originally, but I'll see if I can decipher the writing on it.

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of value in the bike locally except to enjoy restoring and riding, but I still haven't found anything like it. There's some similar when searching for antique randonneur bike. Here's a couple of Carrara bikes I found while searching that look quite a bit newer:
o_1476490441_f688a9695a09c533e75bb42c8b77cee6.jpg
o_1481755277_ee3542b90858e26afa53827014954bea.jpg

Back