When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Info on a Zenith Golden Hawk

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bruce R

On Training Wheels
I recently began a new restoration project on a Zenith Golden Hawk I found in a local antique shop.
I have been struggling to find information on the origins of this brand. Everything on the bike is stamped "Made in England" so I know it is not a CCM (Canadian built) bike, nor does it reference Marshall Wells.

I cannot find information on any English bike manufacture that would have produced these bikes, so any help would be most welcome.

It does have a Sturmey-Archer AW3 with a 1960 date stamp. So assuming that is the original rear wheel I would put the date of the bike close to that.

IMG_1963.JPG

IMG_1990.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

From another CABE thread in 2012 referencing Zenith bicycles.

If it's Canadian it would have the serial numbers at the top of the seat tube, left hand side. the letter in the number would tell you the year. The only difference between a regular CCM and the Zenith was a different head badge and chain ring.

I would look into Zenith Marshall Wells CCM just the same as yours has the serial number on top left seat lug.

From another CABE thread in 2012 referencing Zenith bicycles.

If it's Canadian it would have the serial numbers at the top of the seat tube, left hand side. the letter in the number would tell you the year. The only difference between a regular CCM and the Zenith was a different head badge and chain ring.

I would look into Zenith Marshall Wells CCM just the same as yours has the serial number on top left seat lug.

Thanks for the note bikemonkey.
I was under the impression that the CCM bikes were all built in Canada (or possibly some in the US). This Zenith Golden Hawk is English built, which is sort of throwing me off.
All of the other Zenith head badges I have seen show the name Marshall Wells but this one does not.
All of the lugs and components are clearly Brampton which were used on lots of English bikes (possibly non-english too). All of the parts match the images on this Brampton flyer exactly.
Im50THBK-Brampton.jpg

Not sure if this will help date your bike but Brampton was in business from about 1952/3 to about 1960. I have a first year Schwinn Varsity (1952 or 3 as the serial number was repeated both years) that has a Brampton hub. Roger

In the early '50s, balloon tire bike sales dropped, as "English racers" became fashionable. American companies countered with middleweight bikes, besides importing their own lightweights from Europe. Europe counter-countered with "middlightweights", with a cantilever style frame, as on your Zenith.

I am reasonably confident the bike was built around 1960 based on the date stamp on the Sturmey Archer hub. I would really like to know which company actually built it. I cannot find reference to the Zenith brand for any English bike maker. Unless CCM, which made some Zenith bikes for Marshall Wells had an English operation.
Puzzling...

Back