When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on Brampton 3 speed hubs.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Matched the hubs back up to their frames by the paint chips left on the no-turn washers...since I had swapped one after I found the hub malfunctioning and the rim had significant curb rash that ruined any hope for braking, ruptured cord and leaking tube put final nail in coffin for that wheel. Both of those were No.140B-2 hubs anyways.
View attachment 1566844

View attachment 1566845
Bike had awful white paint over original Opalescent Red and overspray on parts. Shifter and cable had been replaced with late model SA, bike was parted out.

View attachment 1566846

View attachment 1566849

View attachment 1566850

View attachment 1566851

Bike is unmolested except for front tube and rear wheel/tire. Hub was swapped with same No.140B-2 Brampton, still has shifter or cable issues intermittently that I need to look at.

View attachment 1566852

View attachment 1566853

View attachment 1566854

Bike had some updates in the late 60s including SA shifter and cable. This one has sentimental value, considering we picked it up when I was about 10. When I first saw it I fell in love with the World decals...and well, here I am with an eye for them still. This bike was the neighborhood spare, if one of my friends or I got a flat, you would take the ride of shame on this Very dependable girls bike...it was deliberately left on the carport for this reason, nobody wanted to be caught dead on it...until the day it and my Schwinn Sting(with a flat) got stolen. We got the bikes back within a week or 2. I actually saw this one in someone's back yard as I was walking to school and repo-ed it! Lol In 2005 or so we moved and sold almost all of our collection. A couple of years ago I bought this one back from the guy that still lived in the neighborhood, it had stayed in his garage all that time. Sorry...rambling. Ha

And then we have the Sturmey Archer AW hubs as bookends to the Bramptons, 49 and 54

View attachment 1566859

View attachment 1566868

This bike had the same treatment as the first one listed here, bright yellow paint over original Opalescent Green. Remnants of World decal under seat tube, front wheel was shot, brakes bent, and some other issues I can't remember that lead to it being parted out.

View attachment 1566871

View attachment 1566872

View attachment 1566873

Nearly every part on this bike had been scuffed from where someone didn't know how to clean it and must have used #0 steel wool. Intentions were good but decals and chrome were ruined and the brakes, fenders, cable, seat, and shifter were updated in the 60s. Subsequently parted out, wheelset and New World badge were moved to my ragged out 46/7 Continental Clubman as better placeholders.
Note, this is the only dated Sturmey hub I have seen with patent numbers stamped like this.
Thanks for collating the info.
I will pass it on.

I have come across more than a few of these now and am curious about how to place a date on them, learn what the different stamped designations mean, or at the very least learn what years they started and stopped being used.View attachment 1565583

View attachment 1565584

View attachment 1565585

View attachment 1565586

I can't find much useful information about these 3 speed Sturmey clones....and Google seems to be getting less and less helpful by the day, especially when the keyword's spelling is so close to Brompton. "Did you mean Brompton? Yes, we're gonna sell the guy a Brompton!"

If I understand right, these were made by Hercules, somewhere near the time Raleigh bought the company??
I think the earliest Schwinn I've had with one on it is a 52(with the vertical line winged badge) and then up to a 54* Traveler(correction*checked serial number again since this bike is still together, late 52). I've got a 49 World wheelset that has a Sturmey in it and I believe I've seen a Corvette with a 55 stamped Sturmey...
Please let me know if you have any info or literature about these hubs...or any examples on bikes that can help fill in the holes in their timeline.
Thanks in advance!
Most of the Brampton hubs I've seen are marked "No. 140B-X", with the "X" being 2, 3 or 4, from bikes made in the early '50's. That second one you've pictured is the first I've seen stamped "A Type 9" which is the same mark found on Hercules hubs from 1949. I'd say that proves that Brampton hubs were made by Hercules, or vice versa, or maybe I should say both were made by TI, since they owned both companies.

Most of the Brampton hubs I've seen are marked "No. 140B-X", with the "X" being 2, 3 or 4, from bikes made in the early '50's. That second one you've pictured is the first I've seen stamped "A Type 9" which is the same mark found on Hercules hubs from 1949. I'd say that proves that Brampton hubs were made by Hercules, or vice versa, or maybe I should say both were made by TI, since they owned both companies.
That 'A Type 9' hub is the one that stood out for me too, it's not recorded in the 36 pages of research I mentioned previously.
As I said it's a very murky business with Brampton, Hercules, TI, Sturmey Archer and Raleigh all involved.

Back