When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on Mom's vintage New World

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

crazycurlygirl

On Training Wheels
Hello! I'm new here. I'm looking for any information I can gather/verify about my mom's bicycle. This seems like a pretty knowledgeable group so I'm hoping someone here can help.

My mom has had this bike since she was little (sometime in the 1940s). She doesn't remember exactly when she got it, but she knows it was not new when her family bought it. She thinks it's from 1939, but that is just her best guess. I've looked at a lot of sites with info on these bikes and some of it is conflicting. I'm not looking for value (it's a family heirloom at this point and priceless to us), just information on what year it's from and maybe some info on restoration and parts resources.

She still rides this bike every summer and I ride it too when I can sneak onto it. I'd like to clean it up a bit for her, but I don't want to ruin it. I'm pretty handy, so I have no concern taking it apart. But I am worried about finding something that needs to be replaced and not having another part to replace it with.

Thank you in advance for any information/resources/encouragement. :)

Some info:
The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the frame - B58376
It is mostly original, but may have newer wheels and hand grips.
It has a replacement seat, but we also have the original seat.
Single speed.
Coaster brakes.
No fork lock that I can see.
Front facing dropout.

And, lots of pictures (with two bonus action shots:(

IMG_3238.JPG
276.JPG
280.JPG
281.JPG
282.JPG
285.JPG
284.JPG
283.JPG
279.JPG
278.JPG
277.JPG
271.JPG
272.JPG
273.JPG
270.JPG
274.JPG
275.JPG

Welcome!
Y'all doin' the right thing asking questions before ruining something "priceless";)
Great pictures too. Late 40's seems right to me.
Its great you still have the original seat; not surprised she replaced it since she still rides.
There are threads about rebuilding, grease packing and all the fun stuff.
Take your time and have fun.
Thanks for joining and sharing Mom's New World with us.
Enjoy the Ride.

Thank you for all the replies! I'll look for more images of bikes from 1946 to see what this may have looked like new. I'll have to check out some of the threads here. I plan to start with just a good cleaning, but I don't want to damage the paint or what's left of the decals. I'm not sure the last time it was cleaned in any way. Though she does ride it every year.

Is Simple Green pretty safe to use on these old bikes? It's what I use on my motorcycle, so I have it around. I do know that WD-40 isn't the best to use, but it's what was on hand and better than nothing on a dry chain. When I head up to visit next, I'll be taking some proper chain grease.

And yeah, that pic of my mom is my absolute fave. She won't admit much, but I'm pretty sure she had a wild streak in her youth. She's had a rough couple years, so I'm hoping that fixing up her bike might help cheer her up and get her out of the house some more.

Back