When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on The Bean Son Co of San Francisco, Ca BEAN bicycle

-

Kevintothej

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am looking for information on Bean bicycles. I picked up this bike along with a few other 28" wheel bikes. I have done the standard Google search and came up with information that the did exist but have yet to see a picture of a bike. Hopefully one of the experts here can steer me in the right direction.

2013-05-02 19.41.15.jpg

2013-05-02 19.41.07.jpg

2013-05-02 19.40.58.jpg

2013-05-02 19.41.41.jpg

2013-05-02 19.42.57.jpg

2013-05-02 19.41.21.jpg

2013-05-02 19.41.32.jpg

2013-05-02 19.41.48.jpg

More photos to follow....

Bean

From what I recall Bean & Son were distributors....like Island, or Chicago Cycle etc .... Most likely selling other mfgs bicycles with their head badges.

Some on in the Bay area needs to look up the "sons" of Bean. Bet they have the glory stash of goods in some forgotten basement there

What Bob said is true. They were located at 166 7th Street in San Francisco. I have one of their catalogs from the 50s and one from the 60s. I have a Bean badge like the one on your bike and another Bean Cadilac (one L) badge. I also have a Bean tape measure. Someone was trying to sell me a Bean Packard bike earlier this year. I think that it was made by Mead. It was not properly restored and he wanted too much money for it, so I passed. I do not think that they ever built their own bikes but had badges made for bikes that they sold. They were a Schwinn distributor. I am trying to collect San Francisco bicycle related items if you decide that you want to sell your bike or trade it, please contact me.
Thanks,
Chris

Thanks for the info guys. Your help has moved forward my search. I did find pics of, what I believe to be the same, Packard Bean bike you were speaking of. Tho it is an attractive bike, I would agree in saying it is not authentic in the restoration.

I would like to determine a manufacturer of my bike. Any other photos or any more specific info needed?

I am currently not wanting to sell the bike. I would like to just gain more info about it. Is the rear rack era? Looks more like a later piece, I would say 1940s? Anything else out of place? Drop stand correct? Any idea on year? Paint scheme? I have a ton of questions!!!

Thanks!

Oakland, CA 1910

This is from the "Handbook of Manufacturers in and about San Francisco, 1910"...

Under the letter "B" section:

Bicycles - To Order

Bean Son., The, Fifth and Cypress Sts, Oakland

Here is a link to a Bean Catalog

http://www.sterba-bike.cz/produkt/2x-velo-catalogue-with-accessories?lang=EN

A few pics of it below also it looks like Merry bought out Bean.....

Here is a link that might be useful

http://www.merrysales.com/history_100anniv_rev.pdf

The company got its name from its original owner Edwin F. Merry. He opened his business in 1906 after the big earthquake. Back then we were selling automobile parts and motorcycle parts as well. In 1936 the Merry Co. merged with the Bean Son Co, another bicycle wholesaler to form the Merry-Bean Company.
The onset of WWII caused a drastic slowdown of bicycle production. In 1942 the corporation was dissolved. Paul Porter, the company's manager ( and who started out with the company as bike messenger/delivery person) became the sole owner of the bicycle parts division. He renamed it The Merry Sales Co.

2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-14.jpg
2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-15.jpg
2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-16.jpg
2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-17.jpg

2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-14.jpg

2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-15.jpg

2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-16.jpg

2-ks-velo-katalog-s-prislusenstvim-77-17.jpg

Last edited:
Back