When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for info on this odd prewar rack

-

ozzmonaut

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I really like it. It can fold down to act as a normal rack, or fold upwards to hold things inside. It reminds me of the produce basket racks like a friend of mine has on the back of his cycletruck, except his is round and doesn't fold or anything. Anyways, I just want to know more about it. I am thinking of putting it on my 36 Mead Motobike.

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

C'mon everybody. If I can at least find out the time period of manufacture, I can determine if I want it on my Mead.

Has anybody ever had one like this? Does it maybe have a specific purpose or is it just for carrying things in general? I don't see any manufacturer stampings. Maybe someone has some catalog pictures of one?

That is a great rack! I didn't see it in the Island Cycle catalog reprint. Is it big enough for a grocery bag?

The inside of the space created is about 13.5x6.5 Doubt a grocery bag would fit. If the above basket was smaller it would look cool in there. I'm wondering why they made the end curved rather than making the whole thing boxy.

Any ideas? I have seen a few like this on here before, but didn't own one at the time to warrant trying to commit the info to memory. Tried looking at past threads for racks and didn't see them.

I'd say a 1920's aftermarket piece. I would say it was a instore purchase accessory at a non bicycle shop like Sears mont wards ect...

Back