When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for information on Lenape Bicycle Works

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

EdSmithx

On Training Wheels
My Great Great Grandfather Henry Ruos from Doylestown, PA owned and operated Lenape Bicycle Works in Doylestown, PA in the late 1890' and the early 1900's. I can not find any information on the bikes that he produced and sold.

Does anyone on this forum have an information or knowledge of the Lenape Bicycle Works??

Any help would be great

Regards,

Ed

Found this...

Lenape bike.jpg

Vintage Antique "Lenape" Road Bicycle
SOLD DATE:Jun 22,2011
CHANNEL:Online Auction
Circa Early 1900's Fully Restored Very Rare Lenape Bicycle

by Lenape Cycle Works Doylestown, Pa. Established 1899
Can barely still make out Lenape Name on frame
Rolls nice but would not advise riding it very far
Rear Hub by Eclipse Machine Co, Elmira, NY 1909 clearly visable
25" Very nice clean wood rims; rear wooden rim has a crack in it
Original leather saddle with huge triple spring suspension system
Troxue? Leather Seat has come apart at the seams
Vintage ornate pedals and front chainring
Only non original parts are replica tires
steel lugged frame, single speed, fixed gear, nice original hubs
Original Factory Label "Lenape"
Very rare indeed, hard to value
Very rare collector bicycle
Must see to really appreciate!
On rear hub; Made in Elmira NY, USA Eclipse Machine Co. Pat in USA July 19 Oct 25 1904 Aug 24 1909 86/14 On bottom bracket shell; #3216 Lenape is still barely visible on down tube in white let

View attachment 186177

Vintage Antique "Lenape" Road Bicycle
SOLD DATE:Jun 22,2011
CHANNEL:Online Auction
Circa Early 1900's Fully Restored Very Rare Lenape Bicycle

by Lenape Cycle Works Doylestown, Pa. Established 1899
Can barely still make out Lenape Name on frame
Rolls nice but would not advise riding it very far
Rear Hub by Eclipse Machine Co, Elmira, NY 1909 clearly visable
25" Very nice clean wood rims; rear wooden rim has a crack in it
Original leather saddle with huge triple spring suspension system
Troxue? Leather Seat has come apart at the seams
Vintage ornate pedals and front chainring
Only non original parts are replica tires
steel lugged frame, single speed, fixed gear, nice original hubs
Original Factory Label "Lenape"
Very rare indeed, hard to value
Very rare collector bicycle
Must see to really appreciate!
On rear hub; Made in Elmira NY, USA Eclipse Machine Co. Pat in USA July 19 Oct 25 1904 Aug 24 1909 86/14 On bottom bracket shell; #3216 Lenape is still barely visible on down tube in white let

WOW!!!!, That the first picture I have ever seen. In reading the info in it they seem to be very rare and expensive. Would love to find on and buy it of future generations

Rare yes, expensive I doubt it. I would be surprised if the bike brough more than $1000. There were hundreds of maufacturers at this time and few examples survive of a lot of them. What generally makes a bike expensive is if it has innovative or unique features that make it desirable. I think if you beat the bushes hard enough you should be able to find one and will probably be surprised at how affordable it may be. V/r Shawn

Henry D. Ruos, Proprietor of Lenape Bicycle Works

Hi Ed, I hope you are still watching here. My name is Brian Boger and I am a partner at FactoryPhoto.jpeg, 139 S. Main St., Doylestown, PA 18901 (yes our name is an homage to your ancestor's business). I recently gave a presentation to the Doylestown Historical Society about the history of cycling in our town which included information about the Pollock & Ruos, Ruos & Ruos and Lenape Bicycle Works. I'd be happy to supply any information that I can about the enterprise. I am aware of three existing Lenape bicycles including the one pictured above which is now in the collection of the Mercer Museum here in Doylestown. The attached picture is of two existing Lenape bikes in front of the old factory.

FactoryPhoto.jpeg

P & R Bicycle Works Factory

1895-doylestown-baseball.jpg
Your ancestor Henry D. Ruos, his brother Joseph and their original business partner are located in this 1895 bicycle picture, I believe. This is the only picture I have been able to locate of them. Pollock is standing second from right wearing a light-colored suit and white hat. Henry is seated in the second row, directly left of Pollock. Joseph is seated to the right of Henry (second row in front of Pollock).

1895-doylestown-baseball.jpg

Back