When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for more info on a possible Elgin bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I do believe the bike is a 39. To be honest the closer I look it could be just the bracket is upside down, arch in rods also seems smaller looking as well. Being a Murray, a couple different styles were used, one style being the one piece truss rods with plate, similar to what the Higgins used. What's on yours, they also used a similar style. Either way, congrats, great project to have some fun with.

View attachment 1590805

View attachment 1590806
Okay, thanks! I still wouldn't be surprised if the truss rods aren't original, given how many other parts were replaced, but they do look nice on the bike at least! Thanks! I'm looking forward to building it!

I think a safe bet would be to say that my bike is a '38-'39 model. I'm not super concerned about specifics, but it's still nice to know as much as I can. Thanks!
That's me too. For mine I was actually glad mine isn't some really desirable and rare bike,as I intend to trick it out. The thing is that it's really cool to learn a little about what you have found.
IMG_20220216_174112106.jpg

Okay, this took longer than I meant for it to, but here are some additional photos to help identify the "Elgin."

I take it these are those Alemite fittings I keep hearing about?
View attachment 1590360
View attachment 1590361

I tried sanding off more of the paint under the bottom bracket to see if any other numbers or letters would show, but nothing else revealed itself.
View attachment 1590362

Some close-ups of the rear hub.
View attachment 1590363
View attachment 1590364

Also, just to put it out there, as I was replacing the tubes and tires so I could get this bike rolling, I made a few discoveries.

First, the inside of both the rims are clean! Whether these are the original hoops or not, like the rest of the bike, they're nearly rust-free! Shiny, even!
View attachment 1590365

Next, I found this inside the back tire. It even still holds air! (I took it out and replaced it with a new tube, both to be safe and to preserve the original tube.)
View attachment 1590366

Before I replaced the tires, I just wanted to see what they'd look like inflated. The rear tire is actually in really good shape, almost like new! It's still grippy, it has now cracks that I could find, it's still got the mold lines on the middle of the tread! The front tire is not in as good of shape as the rear tire, but it'd look alright on a display bike, I think.
View attachment 1590367
Besides these fittings on the hubs, there are two on the top of the bottom bracket and one on the head tube

Back