When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for pics of modified BMX cruisers for mtb

-

Dizzle Problems

Finally riding a big boys bike
Kinda tough to title... however, I’m looking for pictures of modified BMX cruisers. In the late 70s- early 80s, before mountain bikes were readily available folks were taking their BMX cruisers and having modifications done, canti brake mounts, derailleur hangers, cable guides, etc.
Kind of a post ‘Klunker’, pre mtb thing from what I figure was a small window, ‘79-‘83 or so.

What I’m NOT looking for is prewar/ post war mass produced cruisers. But specifically bmx companies that entered the 26” wheel market in the time period. Cook Bros, Champion, Laguna, S&S, powerlite, Bassett, Gary Littlejohn, MCS, Mongoose, GT, Prodyne, Torker, etc.

And not really just gears slapped on with drum brakes, looking for actual welded on modifications.

Here’s a few to get it rolling-

Cook with added Canti mounts and derailleur hanger. I know at one point Canti mounts were a from factory option (82-83 I think)

Champion with Canti mounts and derailleur hanger ( this awesome rig previously belonged to @Xlobsterman ) -

Another Champion with ‘bash guard’, derailleur hanger, and cable guides added-

Powerlite with Canti mounts and cable guides-

If this is more applicable to the vintage BMX section, I will ask for it to be moved, wasn’t sure where to post it.

Kinda tough to title... however, I’m looking for pictures of modified BMX cruisers. In the late 70s- early 80s, before mountain bikes were readily available folks were taking their BMX cruisers and having modifications done, canti brake mounts, derailleur hangers, cable guides, etc.
Kind of a post ‘Klunker’, pre mtb thing from what I figure was a small window, ‘79-‘83 or so.

What I’m NOT looking for is prewar/ post war mass produced cruisers. But specifically bmx companies that entered the 26” wheel market in the time period. Cook Bros, Champion, Laguna, S&S, powerlite, Bassett, Gary Littlejohn, MCS, Mongoose, GT, Prodyne, Torker, etc.

And not really just gears slapped on with drum brakes, looking for actual welded on modifications.

Here’s a few to get it rolling-

Cook with added Canti mounts and derailleur hanger. I know at one point Canti mounts were a from factory option (82-83 I think)
View attachment 1350091

Champion with Canti mounts and derailleur hanger ( this awesome rig previously belonged to @Xlobsterman ) -
View attachment 1350092

Another Champion with ‘bash guard’, derailleur hanger, and cable guides added-

View attachment 1350094

Powerlite with Canti mounts and cable guides-
View attachment 1350095

If this is more applicable to the vintage BMX section, I will ask for it to be moved, wasn’t sure where to post it.

My bike started out as a single speed with F&R drum brakes, and eventually evolved into the pic you posted.

My bike started out as a single speed with F&R drum brakes, and eventually evolved into the pic you posted.

View attachment 1350439
Super cool! Do you remember when about you added the Canti mounts?
Also, are those Addicks hare trigger brake levers in that pic? Looks like swap from a Champ fork to Cook as well.

I have a photo of the Cook posted above before it’s modifications as well. One owner bike I understand.

Super cool! Do you remember when about you added the Canti mounts?
Also, are those Addicks hare trigger brake levers in that pic? Looks like swap from a Champ fork to Cook as well.

I have a photo of the Cook posted above before it’s modifications as well. One owner bike I understand.

I added the cantilever and derailleur mounts in 80 or 81, and yes those were Hare Triggers

This 26in Torker followed me home one day...purchased from original owner, he special ordered the frame and fork after the 26in bikes were out of production so it took over a year for him to get...he then built it up as a MTB...
I believe I remember seeing that when it was found. Super cool! Not a very common bike, and even less common converted.

I added the cantilever and derailleur mounts in 80 or 81, and yes those were Hare Triggers

View attachment 1351267

Awesome!
was guessing most modifications came pre ‘83 as when that when mountain specific components seemed to become more widely available. Previous to that it seems a lot of parts aimed at touring were used.

I believe I remember seeing that when it was found. Super cool! Not a very common bike, and even less common converted.

Awesome!
was guessing most modifications came pre ‘83 as when that when mountain specific components seemed to become more widely available. Previous to that it seems a lot of parts aimed at touring were used.
There has always been a divide between the road bike and bmx groups. Early mtbs from the road bike influenced builders were too upright and "roadie" for the older former bmx riders so they tended to go a slightly different path and use the existing bmx builders for influence...

Revisiting this thread after some pictures I came across recently.

Mongoose Kos Kruiser modified with canti bosses and gears-

Another Kos with canit bosses-

And the original reason I started this thread, (then forgot to share), my S&S with cani bosses and derailuer hanger-

(Will soon be swapped to 5 speed)

Slightly off topic of an 80's BMX conversion to an early mountain bike but this is my BMX version of a mountain bike. Always loved the early 90's E-stay mountain bikes and I am a big fan of early BMX bikes so I was stoked to find this '96 Fabweld cruiser nearby that is the best of both worlds. I built it with larger 2.1 tires and I got lucky and found the WTB drop nose seat in bass boat flake red. Some parts include; GT forks, GT bars, GT cranks, DK inverted stem, Odyssey post and clamp, Philwood hubs.

Back