When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some advice on this DX Tank

-
It was common practice and is even today to shoot paint on fresh sheet metal such as a tank. Most likely it has been phosphoric acid dipped, then painted without a primer. To be honest, I don't recollect ever seeing a primer on painted chain guards or fenders that have passed thru my hands. The new machines I deal with at work have primer on all the castings and plate steel but none of the sheet metal guards have a primer. I have a guard just like this one, same color, and checked it. I see no primer at all at the chips and scratches like this eBay piece.

1627505318264.png

Like I said; I don't know but would have assumed Schwinn would have primered them but maybe there wasn't a need or that explains why they seem to jus' wear off / disappear 🤷‍♂️🤔

Gonna be a long day at work tomorrow in anticipation of grabbing this DX and others tomorrow… Hi I’m Bob … And I’m a Bikeaholic !!! Hi Bob and welcome
🤞🏻 crossed there's no issues between now & pick up should you decide you want'em. I've been there and couldn't wait to get off to go look see with less than some desirable results 🙄😒😞. It's known I'm Not a Scwhinn addict but old bikes in general .... even if jus' to make a cool rider outta something vintage

been a painter for 35 years. If that was repainted was many years ago. You can't fake those looks. My opinion unless there in really good condition, a good repaint job is way better than a rusted beat up one anyway, but to each his own. Unfortunately the enamel paint back in those days was not very good and durable like the 2k stuff is today.

Back