When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some help dating my Raleigh Sport

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bicyclelegends

Look Ma, No Hands!
Looking for some help dating my Raleigh Sport. The serial number under the seat is 1400 under that is BK, tried looking it up and didn't find anything, know there is someone that knows. Front sprocket is blackened thinking war time. Thanks for your help. Mark

20200828_112030 best date nic     Raleigh bought 8-27-20.jpg

20200828_112840    Raleigh bought 8-27-20.jpg

20200828_115343    Raleigh bought 8-27-20.jpg

Check the rear hub for a date inscription. But keep in mind that the rear wheel may actually be a later replacement, from the look of one of your pictures. I'd expect 1952 or 53 at the latest. Just going by the traits of that bike, 1946-52 era seems right to me.

Sorry I should have said that. The rear wheel is different than the front which looks original. The rear is stamped 66 and we know its older than that. Your right if I look at that chart it looks like a 1953. Thanks for the help.

Originally the chain case came with a "pie plate" which held a sliding cover plate. Covered up the black sprocket, my '52 parts bike is like that. You have a great start! Add fenders and brooks saddle. Add black grips (all the gray originals have rotted and gray is a hard color to find new). Nice start, what state are you in? I just rebuilt a '55 using some parts from '51 and '52 ladies parts bikes and a '55 parts bike, if you need advice. And expert advice and dating can be gotten in the fb raleigh roadster group based out of UK but is worldwide. P.s. the seat lug stamp is by manufacturer and is the main dating clue and sometimes also under the bottom bracket.

Last edited:
Looks a lot like the two 53's that I have (yet to post). Similar serial number and one of mine had the black chain ring. Both of mine had SA hubs with '53 dates. Here's a couple pics

Back