When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for some help Identifying a Bicycle (1934?)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Edubs

On Training Wheels
Well since this is my fist post, let me start with an introduction,
My name is Ernest Williams, I hail from a bustling suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
I'm 26 and have been interested in vintage bicycles for about 3 years after picking up a few while dumpster diving.

This bicycle has been in my family for many years, it belonged to my mother's uncle Ernie, for whom I'm named. I have always wanted to restore it and now have the time and means to begin such an extensive project.

I found this bike when we moved back to the family house, it was outside, behind our shed covered in vines and was almost invisible when I discovered it. I'm hoping someone here can help me identify enough to get me started. I have done several hours of research and so far I cant seem to find much. What I do know is that the Rear Hub is stamped "Departure Model D" and the bracket is stamped with "N.D.". Additionally the Fenders and Peddles were manufactured by "Wald Manufacturing". the serial number is at least partially intact and its numbers combined with the release date for the Hub and the Wald manufacturing parts place this bike's manufacturing date sometime around 1934.

the Badge and Handle bars are missing, Im also not sure if it ever had a chain guard, at least there seems to be no holes where one was once mounted. I believe the S/N is B 483404. I have several pictures if more are required. any help would be greatly appreciated.

frame.jpg

Serial number 2.jpg

Looks like a late 1930s Shelby frame and crank/chainring, with a replacement fork, fenders, mismatched wheels (rear might be orig), >1950s seat.

1937 Shelby. Frame, crank, and wheels are correct. The fork and fenders are not. Value..... $125 since its not fully correct and pretty rusty.

1937 Shelby. Frame, crank, and wheels are correct. The fork and fenders are not. Value..... $125 since its not fully correct and pretty rusty.

Alright! thanks guys! Not sure the wheels are salvageable to be honest. Any idea where the fork is from? value isn't really a big concern for me as its just something to work on during the winter so I don't end up staring out the window wishing for spring lol

Not sure the wheels are salvageable to be honest.

Zooming in on your pics: I see a pretty big dent in the rear (drop center) rim, and the front wheel doesn't match: it's a flat-top rim.
The rear might be repairable to some extent, but will never be really straight and round again.

Hello and welcome to the Cabe from southern Minnesota , Mark & Michael

Howdy neighbors! Thanks for the warm welcome

Zooming in on your pics: I see a pretty big dent in the rear (drop center) rim, and the front wheel doesn't match: it's a flat-top rim.
The rear might be repairable to some extent, but will never be really straight and round again.

Yeah that would be the "good" side, The rear wheel rim is almost bent flat on the other side. Its also rust eaten to the point I'm not sure they are structurally sound. It sat outside for atleast 20 years before I found it :(.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely help as I had no idea what the missing parts looked like. Thanks!

Does anyone know a good place to gets parts besides the usual ebay or swap meets, such as a reproduction parts dealer? Is there any chance of even finding the tank? I imagine they are very sought after.

Last edited:
welcome

edubs, i like em like that! spray it down with wd40 find some wheels and bars, clean and lube everything and ride it. uncle ernie would like that. basket would have to go though uncle or not. rick

edubs, i like em like that! spray it down with wd40 find some wheels and bars, clean and lube everything and ride it. uncle ernie would like that. basket would have to go though uncle or not. rick

Then I have some terrible news my friend, I have already stripped it down to bare metal and will be priming first thing tomorrow weather permitting.

as naked as the day she was made
Chem strip 2.jpg

Back