When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Stingray to restore as class project for youth lead bike repair shop

-

chiefyo

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,
I have started a youth lead bike repair shop at our after school program called the Lamar HOPE Center in rural Southeast Colorado. We are near Kansas and Oklahoma and are over 2+ hours to any bike shop. WE have a designated classroom where kids can volunteer to earn a bike or work on community service hours. We are also working on being set up by Project Bike Tech to start offering an actual high school course for bike mechanics. We would love to get our hands on an old Stingray as a class project for the winter to totally restore it. Have it professionally repainted, new decals, seat redone. everything serviced, etc... Will probably keep it on display at the shop, ride it in parades, and use it to promote the program.
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to sell us/ship to Lamar, CO if they have one that needs restored and aren't getting around to it.
I have found two a couple hours drive from us that are '69 and '70 models. seem to be in decent shape with everything original. just the plain models with the coaster brake. Campus Green. Are asking $500 a piece. The only issue is the rims were sandblasted and re-painted silver instead of being re-chromed. Is this a fair price nowadays? Looking to put another $300 into each for restoration.

We are in a super rural and remote area and have a hard time finding used bikes of any type, let alone any vintage Schwinns. There are a few in the Denver area, but people usually want a fortune for them.

Any feedback or help would be great!
Thanks so much
Byron

Hi,
I have started a youth lead bike repair shop at our after school program called the Lamar HOPE Center in rural Southeast Colorado. We are near Kansas and Oklahoma and are over 2+ hours to any bike shop. WE have a designated classroom where kids can volunteer to earn a bike or work on community service hours. We are also working on being set up by Project Bike Tech to start offering an actual high school course for bike mechanics. We would love to get our hands on an old Stingray as a class project for the winter to totally restore it. Have it professionally repainted, new decals, seat redone. everything serviced, etc... Will probably keep it on display at the shop, ride it in parades, and use it to promote the program.
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to sell us/ship to Lamar, CO if they have one that needs restored and aren't getting around to it.
I have found two a couple hours drive from us that are '69 and '70 models. seem to be in decent shape with everything original. just the plain models with the coaster brake. Campus Green. Are asking $500 a piece. The only issue is the rims were sandblasted and re-painted silver instead of being re-chromed. Is this a fair price nowadays? Looking to put another $300 into each for restoration.

We are in a super rural and remote area and have a hard time finding used bikes of any type, let alone any vintage Schwinns. There are a few in the Denver area, but people usually want a fortune for them.

Any feedback or help would be great!
Thanks so much
Byron
You'll put A LOT more than $300 into restoration/ new parts

Are you and the kids gonna do all the work or are you gonna farm it out, like disassemble, sanding, seat recovering, spokes etc. I think it's great to give the young folks a hands on venture like that. If it was me I would do the whole project in house, painting, regreased etc. Try to find one with good chrome cuz that you can't do and it's $$$$. Good Luck

Last edited:
Are you and the kids gonna do all the work or are you gonna farm it out, like disassemble, sanding, seat recovering, spokes etc. I think it's great to give the young folks a hands on venture like that. If it was me I would do the whole project in house, painting, regressed etc. Try to find one with good chrome cuz that you can't do and it's $$$$. Good Luck
Yeah. I hope to have the kids do all the work ourselves. I was thinking of having the seat recovered professionally. I’ve done one myself and there is a real skill to it. But otherwise it’s all us. 🤓

Yep plating bill (cad/chrome) would be an easy $700-800 in today's world. Good luck with your search. V/r Shawn

This is so cool!!😎😎

I'm trying to think if I have a suitable bike(gnarly) for this project. If I come up with something that would be a good candidate I would donate for a good cause like this. I'm in Longmont & a Colorado Native. I am just concerned what I have is too nice for a restoration. I'll let you know if I come up with something when I have a chance to dig a little.

Another possibility would be to ask in your area if one is sitting in a barn in your area. Get the kids to ask their parents & friends, anyone in the community. I lived in Idalia for a while & mostly grew up on a dairy farm on the West slope. Farmers don't throw stuff away. It may be useful one day. The kids could learn other skills as well by doing this.

This is so cool!!😎😎

I'm trying to think if I have a suitable bike(gnarly) for this project. If I come up with something that would be a good candidate I would donate for a good cause like this. I'm in Longmont & a Colorado Native. I am just concerned what I have is too nice for a restoration. I'll let you know if I come up with something when I have a chance to dig a little.
awesome we would love the help. I sent you a PM.

Back