When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to date this older Schwinn BMX frame....help

-

Pirate.Jim

'Lil Knee Scuffer
schwinn.bmx 003.jpg
schwinn.bmx 002.jpg
schwinn.bmx 004.jpg
schwinn.bmx 001.jpg
Hi:
I'm looking for help on dating this Schwinn BMX frame. I am helping an elderly neighbor liquidate an his garage bike shop. This frame has the oval Schwinn headbadge and the Chicago sticker on the seat tube. There is a serial number on the rear left dropout which is 2749814. Trying to figure out when this bike was manufactured. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Dave

looks like a 77 scrambler have any pics of the whole bike ?

schwinn.bmx.jpg
Here's a picture of the whole frame. I don't know a whole lot about the BMX style. Work more with older balloon tire stuff. This one someone had put a banana seat on it and it had no wheels. Just trying to get a feel for what it is. Thanks for your help.

looking at the whole frame is looks more like a Thrasher from the mid 80's cool frame

Early/mid 80's,

The serial numbers went from the head tube (70's) back to the drop out in 82

Schwinn frame id

The first 4 digits are 2749 making it manufactured on the 274th day of 1989. The first three digits are what day of the year it was made and the fourth digit is the last number of the year. We know it is not 1979 because they were still puting the serial numbers on the headtube until 1982, and it definitely is not a 1999 due to the geometry of the frame. This leaves us with the only possibility being 1989. Good luck with the liquidation.

Back