When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

looks like a 1939 hawthorne

-
An expert on GWM from this site once indicated GWM demise in 1920's, but we've seen adds of similar Crown and America bicycles in the early 1930's.
If Synder acquired GWM assets did they close the Indiana factory, or continue to make GWM-like bikes for some time, or just have a bunch of leftover frames and stuff. I have a bike with GWM features, but it is a 28" with narrow fork and straight chain stays (rear forks); so I would say that those are different, but similar frames. It looks like mine will fit a small round-top tank too.

Does the O.P. bike have flush joints at the bottom bracket, or the characteristic Snyder joints?

this particular model was i believe the first 26in. balloon tire bicycle.it was offered in the MW spring and summer catalog 1932.the frame is different from the schwinn B10-E.review the the catalog adv.there has never been any proof that schwinn offered a 26in.balloon tire model in 1932 that MW offered.

1932pic3.JPG

6492f02f914937e2d7205300a4aebe7c--montgomery-ward-magazine-covers.jpg

this particular model was i believe the first 26in. balloon tire bicycle.it was offered in the MW spring and summer catalog 1932.the frame is different from the schwinn B10-E.review the the catalog adv.there has never been any proof that schwinn offered a 26in.balloon tire model in 1932 that MW offered.

View attachment 922644

View attachment 922645
The one bike show what appears to be a dog leg style crank arm and the one from Dave's vintage collection shows the straight arm, my 34' Hawthorne had the original snowflake with the straight arm on it but had to change to a dog style for now due to a strip out thread, until I can repair the original crank, I been told the straight arm is correct for these early Hawthorne bikes, any thoughts on these crack arms

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

bike will come up for sale at mid afternoon today at tracy luther auction in north st paul mn

Back