When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loosen rusty chain

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Man, you have more patience than I. [emoji2]

I guess it’s about the challenge at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soak the chain in a solvent to remove all the grease and oil. (Already ^in^ Acetone) Then soak it in an acid to remove the rust. Vinegar or citric acid works if you're on a cheap budget. Work the chain while it's in the acid after it's been soaked for a while.

Is all that brown crap rust?

1598139237982.png

Last edited:
I'm guessing any brake cleaner would probably remove the bluing on the chain if any was present. What surprised me is evaporust also removes the bluing so be careful if your chain has any original finish left. Good thing I tested with an old chain first. Does a great job of removing any rust though.

personally, I use an old kitchen cannister filled with marvel Mystery oil. Dunk it in there and let it sit for about a month while Im restoring the rest of the bike. When ready for it, its usually limbered up and lubricated. put it on and run it through a few revolutions and it works great!

Should I dilute muriatic acid maybe 5:1 or similar for my rusty crusty skiptooth chain? I have a jug leftover.

I like the quickest wait time so the stronger the better. But a 50/50 mix in this vid for 2 hrs. is pretty livable. I don't understand why everyone lets stuff sit and soak for days, weeks or months. I want it done ASAP! And if it's a chain, l'll let it soak in the lubricant afterwards for a while until I'm ready to reinstall.

Wow. Interesting vid. Muriatic acid 1:1 much fastest. My next choice would be cleaning vinegar, $1.64 gallon Walmart. Most economical, soak while I sleep.

Before and after soaking cleaning vinegar 24 hrs. Before with few seized links, after all links move freely, impression works ok for lightly crusted rust. Not sure if good nuf for super crusty stiff chain.
Before :

After 24 hrs:

Back