When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Los Angeles license plates

-

Mike Franco

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone have a picture of a Los Angeles bicycle license plate from 1948 or an expiration of 1949 an LA BL or LA Co BL trying to get an idea of exactly what I'm looking for I have not seen 1 ...or does anybody have the collection so I can see what the whole thing looks like from l.a.... or a lead someone who has those plates... also still looking for a 1952 or 53 Los Angeles...... thank you

Last edited:
IMG_20161231_100449.jpg

I have this 1938 LA County if this helps.

L.A. County plates, LACOBL, switched to an alphabet system in '46, the B plate below is '47. I have seen plates A - L, and they are all the same boring black w/white letters, which Is why I do not own them. The white '45 plate is a nice piece of steel, one of the heaviest plates I have. The '44 plate is cool because the number is 1948.
L.A. City plates, LABL, became a 3 year tag after '44, with only the expiration year listed so there are no '45,'46,'48,'49,'51,'52, etc. The first of these plates is a '47, covering '45-'47, here is my red '50, which would cover '48-'50, it is paper thin aluminum. The blue '42 LABL, is a nice heavy plate with deeper letters then most plates, and a different color back.
fullsizeoutput_e1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e21.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e23.jpeg

L.A. County plates, LACOBL, switched to an alphabet system in '46, the B plate below is '47. I have seen plates A - L, and they are all the same boring black w/white letters, which Is why I do not own them. The white '45 plate is a nice piece of steel, one of the heaviest plates I have. The '44 plate is cool because the number is 1948.
L.A. City plates, LABL, became a 3 year tag after '44, with only the expiration year listed so there are no '45,'46,'48,'49,'51,'52, etc. The first of these plates is a '47, covering '45-'47, here is my red '50, which would cover '48-'50, it is paper thin aluminum. The blue '42 LABL, is a nice heavy plate with deeper letters then most plates, and a different color back.
View attachment 843706

View attachment 843707

View attachment 843710
What year would 2 be ....black and the white one .... by the way nice set
20180716_102819.jpg

I am thinking they are lower number B plates, which is why the B is on the number line, instead of its own line. My plate above has a huge number so the B gets its own line. I think the other alphabet plates I saw, A - L, had the same thing going on with some letters on their own and some on the same line as the number.
The white one looks repainted?
You have some nice plates in your collection......

I am thinking they are lower number B plates, which is why the B is on the number line, instead of its own line. My plate above has a huge number so the B gets its own line. I think the other alphabet plates I saw, A - L, had the same thing going on with some letters on their own and some on the same line as the number.
The white one looks repainted?
You have some nice plates in your collection......
Yeah that one was repainted and used to be black

Back