When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Louison Bobet

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

2old2race7

Look Ma, No Hands!
Just bought this yesterday. Needs new sew up tires, that I just ordered, and has a mixture of Huret and Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleurs. Has a Export sticker to Detroit over the seat tube decal that would show France and Bobet's face.
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
011.jpg
015.jpg
017.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

What brand of tubular tires have you chosen?
Campionato del Mondo sew-ups were the best tire of the day, when I first bought my 1971 International Raleigh bicycle. I need to find some similar kind.

What a beautiful bicycle!!! I see Stronglight Cranks and headset as well. Also what looks like Simplex chainrings and fork ends as well. Is that a Reynolds 531 frame?

Going with the Servizio Corsa tubular tires from Yellow jersey, I have bought several of them in the past for some of my other bikes. From what I have read, the tubing is Reynolds 531

Fantastic shape ....
This is a bike from Gene Portuesi's shop here in Detroit. He was one of the largest Importers of Racing bikes in the
US & had one of the first Mail order catalogs for high end racing bikes , parts & accessories. It's getting harder and harder
to find nice clean examples like this anymore.

I get both excited and depressed seeing a bicycle like this. The excitement comes from seeing a bicycle of this age in such fine condition. Then I find it a bit sad, because I realize that regardless of how meticulous the owner was in its upkeep, this sort of condition is extremely rare for a bicycle of this age, unless it saw little use.

I have seen a a few of these before. The tubing was Reynolds 'A' quality, which was typically thicker than 531. It was available in both butted and plain gauge but based of the decal, this appears to be plain grade. The serial number is embossed into the head badge. based on the others I've seen, the age approximates the first digit in the serial number. Whether this is the actual case or coincidence, I don't know, as I haven't enough from this vintage to have a high level of confidence.

It is a fine example of what is almost certainly a C-34 (a.k.a. Amateur), even if it doesn't appear to be completely OEM. Only the French would name this colour cognac, so perhaps you should celebrate your new acquisition by toasting it with its namesake. Enjoy. Attached scan is from 1966 catalogue.

Attachments

• Louison Bobet C-34 Amateur.jpg
    Louison Bobet C-34 Amateur.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 512
Thanks for all the information. My conclusion was also that it is a C-34. The first number on the head badge is a 6, so maybe it is a 1966. The shift levers and front derailleur are Huret and the rear is Campagnolo Gran Sport. It was probably all Huret and the rear derailleur was upgraded either when purchased or shortly after. The owner said it was his dad's and had been in the basement, unused for 25 years.

Back