When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Louisville Elgin blu...

-
So, there is a new pattern in listing good stuff on CL, put a stupid low price, with no intention of selling said item for that price, and let the bidding war begin. It harkens back to when Ebay was new and exciting, circa 1997-2000. That was a time when some serious stuff was bought and sold, stuff not available today.

Below is copied and pasted from another site
I went over the bike for the owner and also let him know what is was and its real value.
The bike is suppose to sell to a man from Baltimore today.
This bike is nice. The spedo was still intact and only had 1 spot on it and it wasnt bad. The glass was good as was the original headlight lens The on off bottoms were still there also
All the wires were in the tank with the org. door. Even had the org reflector on the rack.
The owner took the bike as a trade for a old truck about 3 yrs ago. He said he even had it sitting outside for a little bit. It had a repaint but what chrome was there it saved. Wheels tires and seat wernt original and missing the spedo wheel.unit amd cable

So, there is a new pattern in listing good stuff on CL, put a stupid low price, with no intention of selling said item for that price, and let the bidding war begin. It harkens back to when Ebay was new and exciting, circa 1997-2000. That was a time when some serious stuff was bought and sold, stuff not available today.
Nothing new...
Anything desirable and underpriced that hits the open market but involves a face to face transaction and the time to arrange it, multiple interests move the needle in the interim.
This is why I stopped looking at listings outside of where I could drop what I was doing and be there within a half day's travel.
I don't think the $500 was intentional bait on the hook and personally I wouldn't want to attract nibblers anyway, just the big fish.
Chris

I just don't know why anyone with any bicycle knowledge would pass on it and post it. Why not just keep it on the down-low and buy it for $500 and turn your own $7000 profit? Glad the guy with no knowledge (Original CL Owner) got what looks like a really good value out of the bike.
Just really curious why it wasn't snatched up by the first guy that found it before it was posted on RRbikes and Cabe.
JKent

You would also think that if the guy has internet and obviously he does, (He posted it on CL for sale) 5 minutes of searching Google anyone could find out what it was and a pretty good clue of value. If you just type in Elgin bicycle on Google 17 pictures down is a Bluebird, If you click on the link it carries you to an article about on being found (Barn Find) and how even Chip Foose has owned several. The article goes into pretty good depth about the value of the bike mentioned above and bidding had gone over $11,000.
Hhhhmmmm
JKent

Last edited:
You would also think that if the guy has internet and obviously he does, (He posted it on CL for sale) 5 minutes of searching Google anyone could find out what it was and a pretty good clue of value. If you just type in Elgin bicycle on Google 17 pictures down is a Bluebird, If you click on the link it carries you to an article about on being found (Barn Find) and how even Chip Foose has owned several. The article goes into pretty good depth about the value of the bike mentioned above and bidding had gone over $11,000.
Hhhhmmmm
JKent
Everyday someone here gets a good deal on something, not everyone does the research to get the top dollar for there stuff and what fun would it be if everything we bought was at top dollar and there were no good deals out there. That’s what makes the hunt exciting.

1539302916080.png

Hey honey, did you see any other bluebirds around here? I hear we are getting scarce...

The one at Hershey, apparently sold for 5K and seemed to be in much nicer original condition.
I guess there's no substitute for boots on the ground.
Great deal!

Back