When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lovell Diamond Truss Frame Roadster: 22" & 24" Comparison

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wing Your Heel

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Here are side by side pics of my Lovell Diamond Truss Frame Roadsters, 22" and 24" frame sizes, for comparison.
I find it interesting how the frame size on this style of frame alters a bike's geometry so radically

LovellDiamomndTrussframes1_zpscfc9685d-1.jpg

LovellDiamondtrussframeroadster03_zps2a7-1.jpg

LovellDiamondtrussframeroadster04_zps874-1.jpg

LovellDiamondtrussframeroadster05_zps880-1.jpg

Now compare the 1906 Gentlemen's Royal Premier, which has a massive 28" frame

1908_Helical_Premier_01_zps58effc2b-1.jpg

The Truss Frame Roadster catalogue illustration shows a very much narrower angle, actually hardly a triangle at all, so is presumably the 18" or 20" version.

Does anyone have other catalogue illustrations to share or sell please?

LovellDiamondtrussframeroadster9_zps7ae3-1.jpg

Also, please advise on ages of these two machines:

22" frame: serial number is 182751, under bottom bracket, with this chainwheel and badge

LovellDiamond22inch05_zps9081ca4a-1.jpg

LovellDiamond22inch06_zps0500b465-1.jpg

24" frame: serial number is 320812, on top of seat tube, with this chainwheel and badge

LovellDiamond24inch05_zpsf965df17-1.jpg

LovellDiamond24inch06_zpse22494ca-1.jpg

WOW!! What a nice pair of Lovell's you have there Wing Your Heel. Quite interesting seeing a matched set with different frame sizes side by side. The Lovell bikes have always interested me because of their connection to the Iver Johnson Arms and Cycle Company that was once in my hometown. If that catalog you have shows a "Lovell Special" racing bike could you post it?? I have one that has practically the same badge as your bikes, even the same color combination, but I have never seen a listing for one in a catalog. Thanks, Pete in Fitchburg

Great bikes and thanks for the rare glimpse of these comparisons side by side.

Are these machines built by Iver? Is the frame construction the same as other Ivers of this age? Is that a know Iver fork? Serial #'s on bottom bracket? Also of note is it's "Iver Johnson Sporting Goods" and not Cycle and Arms badged. I know little about Iver frame details and would love to see more info on these machines like a date. Also are the headset cups and other hardware Iver built?

Wing Your Heel, how do these forks compare to your ladies Harley Davidson bike? They look pretty close to me.

LovellDiamond22inch06_zps0500b465-1.jpg

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
Lovell Made or Iver Made?

Hi Chitown,
The Lovell/Iver Johnson connection has always been a little mysterious to me. About all I can gather is there were some Lovell bicycles made in Portland, ME., and there were some Lovell bicycles built by Iver Johnson in Fitchburg, MA. I’m not sure how to ID either one. At some point in time IJ bought the Lovell Company so there is some cross-over here. Theyankeedoodler and Ivrjhnsn are really the ones that are most knowledgeable here and can set the record straight. Attached is a pic of the Lovell badge on my bike. Pete in Fitchburg

lovell special badge.jpg

DRS_20140513-_DSC4087.jpg

A big thanks to Wing Your Heel for posting the LD model 1484 catalog page, do you have a date? My mystery bike may have been solved???? The dbl bar headbadge holes are spaced 2 7/8, the same vertical spacing as Lovell Diamond badge. I realize this is not an Iver frame, however I have seen an original teens Lovell Diamond badged bike that was of non Iver origin. It also had a non Iver crank....This is a 22" frame. The fork is a teens Schwinn replacement, as is front mudguard brace. I am not sure if fenders were original to this bike as the rear fender has 2 holes drilled to mount to stay bridge??

Last edited:
Chris, well spotted! You know the parts on my American bikes better than me :)

Here's the 24" LD front forks with HD Girls, and they look the same

ijharleyforks_zps1e522c8c-1.jpg

I spotted this LD catalogue on ebay in November 2014, but had no reason to buy it. Just a few weeks after the auction ended I bought the first of the Lovell Diamonds!
I did message the seller to see if he'd taken a photocopy, or knew the year of the catalogue, but no luck on either.

This is what he said:
This catalog is a Lovell Diamond Bicycles. Iver Johnson Sporting goods, Boston Mass.
I do not have a date for this catalog and can not find any date printed. Some of the bicycle tools pictured have patent dates of 1912 and 1915. The bicycles and items pictured would place the catalog sometime after 1915.

These are the scans i copied from his ebay auction

_575_zpsa7200a89-1.jpg

_576_zpsac86650a-1.jpg

_577_zps5a2de148-1.jpg

_578_zpsd70755f4-1.jpg

_579_zps0e58a0a3-1.jpg

_5711_zps6a4fa31f-1.jpg

_5712_zpsf4a68855-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back