When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low Tech Fork Straightening

-

bikewhorder

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
So this is the method I use to straighten a bent fork, It literally takes about 5 minutes. The black tube I'm using here is part of a floor jack handle.Most of the bent forks I've encountered are bent @ the steering tube and these are the easiest to fix The tube is slid down to where the bend occurs, in this case is was at the very base. I've also used this method to fix forks that were bent to the side, the only real difference is that you have to install a hub to brace the legs. Unbending bent fork legs can also be fixed like this but the blocking gets a little more involved.

P1040654_zps4fa41fd2-1.jpg

P1040656_zps10c57fde-1.jpg

P1040658_zps74488502-1.jpg

P1040665_zps37a801d9-1.jpg

P1040660_zps4721282c-1.jpg
c92e123ff4054f84aa7a50ed56dc4e17_zpsd3f6-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm

It looks like that's designed to be used to straighten forks without removing them from the frame, I don't think I'd try that on any bikes I was attached to, you never know what your going to bend when you just start jacking on a frame like that...

It looks like that's designed to be used to straighten forks without removing them from the frame, I don't think I'd try that on any bikes I was attached to, you never know what your going to bend when you just start jacking on a frame like that...

I've seen the Little Brute used. It works similar to a bumper jack for a car, except in this case you're jacking the fork and pushing it away from the bottom bracket of the frame. It was actually pretty common in some of the older bike shops, but with the rise of liability issues, most shops don't touch fork repair anymore.

another way

I have a good friend that has a used bike shop. When a bike has a bent fork. He replaces the wheel with a 20" bmx wheel turns the fork backwards and runs the bike into a tree. Sounds funny but is surprising how well it works. Then puts the original wheel back on....

I have a good friend that has a used bike shop. When a bike has a bent fork. He replaces the wheel with a 20" bmx wheel turns the fork backwards and runs the bike into a tree. Sounds funny but is surprising how well it works. Then puts the original wheel back on....

Well there's low tech and then there's red neck, I would say this method falls in the latter...

Back