When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lozier Cleveland - is it 1914?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wing Your Heel

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Though most of my cycles were made on my side of the Atlantic, I do have a few old American machines, such as this Lozier Cleveland Model 47. I was told the model 47 came out in 1914, that being the only year they fitted this front brake. Is this correct?

I've read about the history of the company and seen pictures of pre-1900 models, ie before Lozier sold the company, and know he went on to become part of CCM in Canada after that date. But I've not been able to find out anything at all about Lozier Cycle Co under its new ownership 1900-1917.

I'd appreciate some feedback from you guys.

By the way, it has aluminium banded wood rims, is totally rideable and I've ridden it short distances, though I have to admit that I'm unsteady with fixed-wheel bikes.

Colin

1clevelandcopy-1.jpg

3clevelandcopy-1.jpg

That's a beautiful machine, Colin! I can't say I've heard of the badge before, there were so many different companies then. But if anyone here knows anything about it, I'm sure they'll share the info! ~Adam

The Wheelmen site has some info on the bike company, and there's a Lozier automobile site that fills in more of the history. I would guess your bike is 1890s.

I read up on it at one point, don't take this as fact but here's what I remember.

My understanding is that Lozier sold the bicycle business (to American Bicycle Co I believe) in 1899, just before the bike industry crash for quite a lot of money. Lozier and the Cleveland brand separated at that point. Lozier went into the boat engine buisness, then his heirs went into the automobile business.

The Cleveland brand changed hands, several times maybe, and I know CCM had it for a period. But I think the Lozier badges are 1890s.

I was researching a Lzier a few years back and received this message from a fellow collector-

"Lozier Mfg, (manufacturing), was the original producer of "Cleveland" bicycles. The Lozier Mfg was used from approx. 1894 until they sold their bicycle business to Col. Pope in 1899/1900. He owned the American Bicycle Co. The Cleveland name continued for several more years, but it didn't show Lozier Mfg. on the Cleveland nameplate. Lozier did have a manufacturing plant in Toronto. However, I suspect those Clevelands too would have shown Lozier Mfg on the nameplate. The three Clevelands I currently own each show Westfield Mass below Lozier Mfg on the nameplate. Perhaps CCM was used by Lozier, or even perhaps they were part of the Pope lead group"

Hopefully this is helpful.

I agree that Losier was part of the American Bicycle Company and became a Pope brand after the "ABC" breakup. The "Columbia" factory in Westfield Ma was built by lozier and taken over by Pope a few years later, eventually moving all operations there. The Cleveland brand was used through the teens by Pope and the headbadge was the same as the one on your bike except it did not say Lozier. I checked the 1914 Cleveland catalog and the model numbers range from 420 to 434, no Model 47. I have heard that offshoots of the "ABC" became or were involved with "CCM" so this may be a Canadian Cleveland. I hope someone knows more than I do because I would like to know more about this string of the "ABC".

VintageColumbiaBikes.com

leon the legend

someday, this will be a rare bicycle item.. imagine-if you will ,,150 years from now ,someone finds this,, letter from the legend,,,.... ,,

"someday, this will be a rare bicycle item.. imagine-if you will ,,150 years from now ,someone finds this,, letter from the legend,,,...."

You're right about that WPB. A rare item, a reply :)

I guess the saga of this bike's identification, 110 years after its manufacture, is now a part of its history.

Pelletman, I can't remember the cost. It was cheap, 20 dollars or so.

I think it's important to keep all this in perspective. Though it's nice to get fast results, this is a vintage bicycle forum - we certainly don't ride them to get anywhere fast. I didn't mean to open a can of worms, I just wanted to know if he was still operating; I'm not sure what a bad person is. (Do we have them in England?). Is it something to do with vaginal irrigation?

Back