When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lug history? When did they start getting a litte fancy??

-

37ccmflyte

Finally riding a big boys bike
When did lugs start to go from straight across to having some mild decoration like a point on them??? Day one of bikes? 1900?? 1910?? I see them before WW2 and lots after WW2... I am thinking of simple curve and point like the one in the photo....

lug 4unnamed.jpg

I'd say 1897ish and onward. To be fair, American Mfg's kinda stopped the fancy lugs, 'cept maybe for racers by 1905 tho...

Based on above it was pretty early. As a fan of nice road, when I think of fancy lugs, Hetchins comes to mind first. Then Columbine comes to mind as next level. A friend has an 80s that he unfortunately won't part with. I beleive they still make customs but are not cheap. Below are more current.

columbine_twins.jpg

earth_to_sky-seat_cluster_detail.jpg

I always liked the frames built with the French Nervex lugs.
They were pretty ornate, for an off the shelf lug set, without being over the top.
The late 50’s/60’s Schwinn Paramount frames made good use of this type of lug set with accents in chrome.
I always liked these lugs outlined with pin stripes, but some of the European builders frowned on this, because it was said to be a way to hide sloppy finish work.
I disagree, and tend to think, that it was just too tedious of a job, and a way for them to explain why they didn’t pin stripes their lug work.
Ornate Lug built frames are magnificent things of beauty, and will some day be highly collectible.
Or at least, they should be.

Back