When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lyons Air Museum 1936 Hawthorne Zep

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cory

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
My kids and I met some of the Indian Guides over at the Lyons Air museum on the runway at John Wayne airport in Santa Ana CA. What a great place! I live 15 minutes away and did not it was there. It was great. This was the only bicycle in display and boy did I like it. Really neat seeing all the black out pieces. Would love to get everybody's opinion of the bike. What's right or wrong about it, you know the usual. Enjoy and thanks in advance for the education.
a0642fe4ffdbaa02df2cb9f5bedd668f-1.jpg
e02a1ed7585d94a27d867a6f40f8d506-1.jpg
abc833f32da0e8b1dba4379193965e19-1.jpg
7872ac396f047ba2e412ffcb9650a943-1.jpg
dd8b114abfb32e59d25ef8ea4201c669-1.jpg
b9378b48af10be51c7f9fa734f2ece36-1.jpg
5d4c6ced7d5141b6f0d6b4ff7935922e-1.jpg
064fabc0b8cd798fe5369a6f4ccd733d-1.jpg

So the black out shifter is a stand out but my favorite item with out a question is that great flag holder mounted to the stem. Is that a black out part? Is this how a bike would had been delivered to the service? The headlight was not chromed but is this a original finish? So many questions.

I think someone got military crazy on the bike.the blackout parts are correct for ww2 it more than possible the bike is older than 1941. Nice looking ride though.

When I first saw the bike I thought it would be a wartime bike because of the blackout pieces. Then it has me questioning whether or not they used black out pieces in the 1930s?

As a group, we all thought it would be a fitting donation and testament to Dirk when he passed away.
I'm glad that you have discovered the Lyon Air Museum. It's a local gem for sure.
They have hosted an event in past years called Bikes and Bombers that should not be missed. June 13th is the next one.
It always brings out the fantastic hardware. William Lyon also has a pretty impressive car collection to go along with his aircraft collection.
Something like 10 or 12 Duesenbergs.
Those cars are on display now. Definitely a sight to see.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in Marty! That sounds like a great event. Sounds like we need to all go to this next one.

Although I don't think it's something that was produced "back in the day" that's a neat looking bike and appears to be well done. :cool:
Is that something Dirk created or did someone else build it in his honor?

Although I don't think it's something that was produced "back in the day" that's a neat looking bike and appears to be well done. :cool:
Is that something Dirk created or did someone else build it in his honor?

Yes, Dirk built that as a tribute bike. He loved it and rode it quite a lot.
I'm sure, he would've been pleased and honored to have it displayed under the wing of the B-17 Flying Fortress. I am very impressed with the Lyon Air Museum that they have chosen to keep the bike that Dirk built on permanent display with so many other spectacular treasures of Americas past.

Back