When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maintenance question rear hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Evans200

I live for the CABE
In Memoriam
I bought my '59 Evans a short time ago. I'm not sure what type of lube or oil the rear hub takes. I have no idea when the last time, if at all, any maintenance has been done. I'm referring the the fitting (see pics) on the hub. It has a small ball type plunger on it. The bike is smooth and quiet, but I want to make sure to do things right.

Attachments

• 100_1363.jpg
    100_1363.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_1364.jpg
    100_1364.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 130
There are guys on here who have been doing this longer than I have been alive. I have been rebuilding bikes since 2006 and I have come to the conclusion that anytime I buy a classic bike to keep, I rebuild all the hubs, headset, crank case, derailleurs (if applicable), and clean the chain. Why? Always assume the bike was never maintained and in most cases, this hold true. I have found scored races, spun bearings, and parts that were run dry.

I'd bet you that if you took that hub all apart, the oil inside is now like sludge or solidified or even worse, not even there.

I rebuild that whole thing.

There are guys on here who have been doing this longer than I have been alive. I have been rebuilding bikes since 2006 and I have come to the conclusion that anytime I buy a classic bike to keep, I rebuild all the hubs, headset, crank case, derailleurs (if applicable), and clean the chain. Why? Always assume the bike was never maintained and in most cases, this hold true. I have found scored races, spun bearings, and parts that were run dry.

I'd bet you that if you took that hub all apart, the oil inside is now like sludge or solidified or even worse, not even there.

I rebuild that whole thing.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines, probably take it to the local bike shop over the winter. If i try to do it myself, a mountain will be made of a mole hill.

Why take to a bike shop? You can screw it up just as well as they can ;)
Really tho: you can do it, it's not difficult. Clean everything, removing all grease and dirt (clean!), replace the ball-bearings, don't over-grease, oil on the shoe.

Why take to a bike shop? You can screw it up just as well as they can ;)
Really tho: you can do it, it's not difficult. Clean everything, removing all grease and dirt (clean!), replace the ball-bearings, don't over-grease, oil on the shoe.
Pretty much it.... what that guy above me said...

If a 14 yr old boy obsessed with girls can have his first time with a hub and do it right with no videos or pictures, you can too!

Don't let somebody else do it!

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking along the same lines, probably take it to the local bike shop over the winter. If i try to do it myself, a mountain will be made of a mole hill.

i agree with the other guys, i was a bit tentative taking it apart, but really just pull each part out and lay it down in prder and take a picture.

if you mess any thing up post it here and i am sure the guys can help you.

OK, I'll do it myself. You'll have to wait til winter to see the mess I make though, lol. Thanks for the support and motivation!

Back