When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold MAJOR PRICE DROP Hex tube Silver king Complete bike ROUGH

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

REDAIR13

Finally riding a big boys bike
I was messing around on ebay and ended up as the wining bidder on this bike. It is a cool bike, but I don't need it.

1940s Hex Tube silver king. The frame has been welded as pictured, and has a large pinch like dent in the toptube. The bike also has some screws and nuts through the frame. The fenders, fork, etc have been painted. Rides well given all that it has been through.
Was 850
NOW 600 Cash picked up in Ofallon Missouri 63368. Paypal is available. Venmo is available
Do not want to ship this one.

20200802_144320.jpg

20200802_144352.jpg

20200802_144348.jpg

20200802_144346.jpg

20200802_144343.jpg

20200802_144339.jpg

20200802_144336.jpg

20200802_144329.jpg

20200802_144327.jpg

20200802_144323.jpg

20200802_144320.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. It's a heck of a bike for the money. I've always wanted one, and I'm super super thankful that you are not shipping it, because I would be trying to come up with money for it that I simply do not have.

For those considering this bike:
McMaster-Carr has hexagonal aluminum tubing in several sizes. Six foot sticks in the largest size are about $100. If they have them in the correct size, I see this as making all the difference in the world with regard to this bike. The possibility of structural failure becomes simply another problem that can be addressed, rather than something financially prohibitive.

If I were to acquire it, I'd borrow one of those tiny cameras that fit into weird places and poke it down the head tube to see if I could figure out what was going on. I'd also acquire the necessary tubing. Then, I'd promptly ignore both unless there was catastrophic failure. I'd strip the paint, and, assuming that the chrome was too far gone, polish the bare steel to a high shine, then clear coat it. Total cost to this point? Perhaps another $200.

Just curious:
How were the tubes in these frames held in place? I don't see evidence of pins like in some of the earlier frames.

Wow. It's a heck of a bike for the money. I've always wanted one, and I'm super super thankful that you are not shipping it, because I would be trying to come up with money for it that I simply do not have.

For those considering this bike:
McMaster-Carr has hexagonal aluminum tubing in several sizes. Six foot sticks in the largest size are about $100. If they have them in the correct size, I see this as making all the difference in the world with regard to this bike. The possibility of structural failure becomes simply another problem that can be addressed, rather than something financially prohibitive.

If I were to acquire it, I'd borrow one of those tiny cameras that fit into weird places and poke it down the head tube to see if I could figure out what was going on. I'd also acquire the necessary tubing. Then, I'd promptly ignore both unless there was catastrophic failure. I'd strip the paint, and, assuming that the chrome was too far gone, polish the bare steel to a high shine, then clear coat it. Total cost to this point? Perhaps another $200.

Just curious:
How were the tubes in these frames held in place? I don't see evidence of pins like in some of the earlier frames.
I believe it to be the cheapest hex tube SK listed in some time. The frame issues having to do with said price. I am not 100% sure on how it is held together. Just want to pass it on to someone new. Cleaning out the garage.

I believe it to be the cheapest hex tube SK listed in some time. The frame issues having to do with said price. I am not 100% sure on how it is held together. Just want to pass it on to someone new. Cleaning out the garage.
I appreciate that, I really do. I know that I'm never going to see one cheaper, but I just don't have space right now. My statement above is as much to convince someone else to go for it as anything. Good luck with the sale.

Just curious:
If I remember correctly, the tubes were cooled to shrink them, and the gussets were heated to expand them, and then they were assembled. When they both reached equal temperature, they were tight.

Back