When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Major Taylor's first professional race....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Major Taylor Archive

I live for the CABE
was on December 5th, 1896. A Saturday night race at MADISON SQUARE GARDEN in New York City. The New York 6 Day race was to start the next day but shorter races scheduled the day before to warm the crowd up. He signed up for the No. 4 race, the half-mile handicap - Professional. He was in a field that included Tom Cooper and American Sprint Champion Eddie "Cannon" Bald. Since it was a scratch race, Taylor was given a 35 yd. lead. Five laps equaled a half-mile. Taylor mistakenly let up after completing four laps thinking the race was over and completed another half lap before he realized what was happening. Bald was closing fast. He dropped into the hooks and sprinted for the finish line winning $100. and his first of many professional races. He came back the next night to race in the 6 Day riding over 1,700 miles, good enough for 8th place.

I recently acquired an original entry form for those Saturday night races and wanted to share it and the story of Taylor's win that night. The seller told me it came from Conn Baker's estate, another pro from that era who had an incredible ephemera collection.
IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

Back